Take your cover off !

• bck
    Big Stone Lake Sd

I have to vent, with all the talk of 9/11 I was appaled to see Twins fans wearing ball caps during God Bless America. I think it is known that you remove your cover and put your hand over your heart in respect.Just dont understand whats going on with our great nation.

finman

I hate to say it, but our “great ” nation isn’t so great anymore as far as our youth is concerned. There isn’t respect anymore- period… This era is all about me, me, me…. Yes, I love this country as much as the next, but man, the values that are taught these days just aren’t what they used to be.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

I see it ALL THE TIME….WTF?

There are so many unpolished humans out there that it helps explain why this country has some the the challenges it faces.

It is such a simple gesture of respect – I don’t get why a person doesn’t get it. Didn’t they have a father that taught them anything.

They are probably the same people I see that use the toliet and don’t wash their hands, don’t pick up after themselves in public places, smack their food, don’t tip wait staff, use the F bomb in front of children, can’t look you in the eye when they talk to you and shake your hand with a limp wrist….

Come on man!!!!! Man Up!!!!!

Dog

Grouse_Dog

Quote:

I hate to say it, but our “great ” nation isn’t so great anymore as far as our youth is concerned. There isn’t respect anymore- period… This era is all about me, me, me…. Yes, I love this country as much as the next, but man, the values that are taught these days just aren’t what they used to be.

They are not always kids – I have seen plenty of 40,50 and 60+ do the same thing…..

Sad

bck
    Big Stone Lake Sd

thats sad because I think I am the youth: joined the Army in 91 gave 10 years of service to MY Country never looked for a return favor and now I feel like I got screwed. My dad said to me ” now you know how I felt” he was USMC 64-72

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

At Yankee stadium and now New Yankee Stadium, during the 7th inning stretch, it has been traditional since 2001 to play “God Bless America”. During this time, people are asked to remove their hats out of respect. It should also be noted that one fan was recently forcibly kicked out of the stadium by the police for going to the bathroom during said song (he later sued and won).

It should be noted that “God Bless America” is not the national anthem and is merely a patriotic song. My other proclivities against being forced to take your hat off in a country based on freedom aside, are we now to show any patriotic song the same reverence as the national anthem? Perhaps when Yankee Doodle Dandy plays, we should all doff our hats and cover our hearts?

deertracker

Along the same lines. We were at out local high school football game last week. A kid sitting next to us ate his food, looked around to see if anyone was looking then threw his trash over the side of the bleacher. They had just made a statement over the pa to clean up after yourself. I yelled over to him to not be a slob and pick up his trash. He said he would but never moved. I insisted he do it NOW! Later I saw him talking to his parents and point at me. I maybe embarassed my son a bit but it was a good learning point.
    DT

bck
    Big Stone Lake Sd

good point Brian, so what I get from you is that 9/11 was no big deal?

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Just where did you get this from Brian’s post

He’s right …It is not the national anthem….there is no rule that you have to remove your hat for a patriotic song..

I think it’s a personal choice when it comes to songs like this…
    To make a judgement about a man’s patriotism based on how YOU feel about such a song is just not right..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Mud. You get it.

It’s why I don’t go to ball games. I don’t want my patriotism questioned.

Quote:

At Chicago’s Wrigley Field, during the Vietnam War, the song was often played by the organist as part of his post-game playlist, while fans filed out of the stadium.

Grouse_Dog

Quote:

Quote:

Just where did you get this from Brian’s post

He’s right …It is not the national anthem….there is no rule that you have to remove your hat for a patriotic song..

I think it’s a personal choice when it comes to songs like this…
    To make a judgement about a man’s patriotism based on how YOU feel about such a song is just not right..

Hmmmm……

Well then, should we talk when we are in church? Say – “I am not a practicing ____________ but I am here for a funeral? I am free to do what ever I want because I am an American?” Come on….Where do you draw the line?

Speed limits, bag limits, rules of the road, don’t hold the door for women and old people, smoking near an bunch of kids, etc. Societies norms don’t apply to me because I am a narcissistic, self-absorbed, A-hole….?

Give me a break and try to be a better person. I think on a day ( September 11th) a person can try just a little bit harder. It really is not that difficult.

Dog

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I didn’t wear my hat all day yesterday Grouse. Did you?

Grouse_Dog

BK –

As you know – it is a matter of self awareness and a gesture of respect –

You can choose to do whatever you want – unfortunately you may get labeled with a tagline that you did not intend – because or your choice.

Self awareness and understanding how your actions may impact others, is an important part of being an adult in modern society.

Dog

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

I heard it said once that if we are to complain about “today’s generation” we need only to look at the previous generation that is teaching and raising them. I take it upon myself to teach my kids and other’s kids about respect, character, and integrity. And, it can be done in a way that maintains everyones dignity. Yelling at someone to be respectful is contradicting.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Quote:

I respectfully disagree. I see some great kids doing some amazing things.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I see all ages wearing caps yet at the local high schools’ football and basketball games. I have to admit that I see more of the 30 and under crowd doing it. The same age range seems to not be able to figure out how a cap is worn period. And then there are those with the belt loops of their pants down at mid-thigh level.

Social ettiquette went out the door when the military draft was done away with and basic punishment was removed from our public schools.

Grouse_Dog

Quote:

I heard it said once that if we are to complain about “today’s generation” we need only to look at the previous generation that is teaching and raising them. I take it upon myself to teach my kids and other’s kids about respect, character, and integrity. And, it can be done in a way that maintains everyones dignity. Yelling at someone to be respectful is contradicting.

And you are a good father…..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

BK –

As you know – it is a matter of self awareness and a gesture of respect –

You can choose to do whatever you want – unfortunately you may get labeled with a tagline that you did not intend – because or your choice.

Self awareness and understanding how your actions may impact others, is an important part of being an adult in modern society.

Dog

I didn’t wear my hat all day yesterday out of self awareness and respect.LOL!

It is not the National Anthem.

The same Freedom our folks in the military fought and died for allows me to choose NOT to treat “patriotic” songs the same as the National Anthem, just like it “allows” folks to label me un patriotic because I don’t.

“God Bless America” started out as a prayer. I prefer to pray in my own way.

Let Freedom Ring!

big_g
    Isle, MN

This is exactly what I promised myself as I kid I would not do… talk about “todays” generation and how terrible they are, how easy they have it and how lazy they are. That is the shpeel I got when I was a kid and I swore right there, I wouldn’t belittle the next generation that I know nothing about. Somebody not removing their hat, should not ruin your life or even your day.

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

bck

understood

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I was raised by a very strict military father and we were raised to take our hats off and place them over our hearts for THE NATIONAL ANTHEM. I love my country and I am thankful for everything I have and grateful for those who fought for me to have it

lhprop1
    Eagan

We never had this problem when they played “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” during the 7th inning stretch.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Quote:

I have to vent, with all the talk of 9/11 I was appaled to see Twins fans wearing ball caps during God Bless America. I think it is known that you remove your cover and put your hand over your heart in respect.Just dont understand whats going on with our great nation.

When the leader of the nation wont do it, I wouldn’t find this as much of a suprise.

big_g
    Isle, MN

You mean this one ??

rjmoore_33
    Eagan, Mn

As a Veterans Service Officer and a former Paratrooper with the 82Nd Airborne Division (All The Way) I would like to way in on our youth of today and taking your cover off. It first of all starts with your parents and teaching you respect and patriotism. Since 9/11 we have had over 1 million of our nations youth sign up for the military serve, in combat zones, come back home safe just to do it all over again. Yes they did it all for you yes BK even guys like you. We have an all volunteer military these kids were not forced in to it. This is the first time in our nations history that we went to war and people volunteered to go. So Don’t look down on our youth pat them on the back. It’s the 99% of our youth we need to get to.

Yes BK WE have fought for freedoms so you can do what ever you want in this great nation. Our for father have done the same we had people coming home from Vietnam who were degraded in every manner imaginable but they still hold there head high today. They are the first ones to take there hat off, they are the first ones to open the door for a lady they are the ones they put together the ceremonies for our returning men and women, they are the first ones to stand up for our freedoms. They are the ones following the funeral procession’s of our fallen on their motorcycles and holding the American flags to protect the family’s of the fallen against the protesters.

This is my two cents . If we all come together and support our nation it’s military and the flag they protect and teach our youth about respect and the history of our nation we would be better off. The bottom line is lets just show some respect to our nation wither it’s a patriotic song the rising and lowering of the flag or our military. We know what is right and don’t let you ego get in the way. Just because you can leave your hat on doesn’t mean you have to.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Nope, this one…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

That’s not the kid’s fault, it’s the fault of the parents and adults around them for not teaching them the right ways.

“Teaching” does not mean being an @sshole about it and yelling at them. Several times at HS games, I’ve heard people say in that “little too loud” voice that appears to be directed at one but is really for everyone to hear, “Caps please, gentlemen. Caps off for the anthem, please!.”

And everyone who hasn’t already done it, does it. And even more importantly, they have just learned that they were SUPPOSED to do it.

The problem isn’t kids these days, it’s slacker parents who don’t want to pull their head out of their iPhone for long enough to raise their own kids, much less to do what adults have always done and to help teach OTHER peoples kids the right ways.

Grouse

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

yes BK even guys like you.

You guys are killing me!

In my mind, I see treating a patriotic song as degrading the National Anthem. Lessening what the flag stands for.

If it makes me a better American, I do fly Old Glory from Flag Day to July 4th.

If you don’t fly the flag or if you don’t have a flag…are you less of an American?

A few years ago I was driving in traffic in Chicago. Came up to a stop light and there was a Vet standing on the side of the road selling poppies for the DAV. I knew it was for the DAV because my Dad was a member and the treasurer of our local chapter. I’ve supported this chapter by donating my time in building an accounting program worth $450. along with buying poppies and calenders. I sold tickets at one time for them.

When I declined to donate to this Vet, he told me “If it wasn’t for us you would be speaking Japanese right now”.

That was the only time I’ve ever wanted to get out of the car and fill him in on what assuming makes a person.

Yes, they fought were disabled and died even for people like you.

big_g
    Isle, MN

you do realize that picture is fake ??? even the fake Hillary has her back to the flag… nice try though

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I will ALWAYS remove my hat for the national anthem and expect others do the same….but I can honestly say I was not aware that it was disrespectful to leave your hat on for God Bless America. I don’t go to many games to begin with so I don’t even know if I would catch myself being disrespectful during that song/anthem.

Honest question, are there other songs/anthems that follow these same lines?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.