devils lake or SW Wisconsin trout strean info?

• drew-evans
    rochester MN

i am staying at devils lake and was looking for a good stream to try fishing possibly with a fly rod. any info will be very appretiated! thanks in advance.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

rather than streaming it there (I’ve been 10 times), try tube drifting or canoe drifting (w/ life jacket, OC) at dusk and dawn. i was VERY happy with my experiences. more by phone only. 715-639-3900

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Right next to the south entrance into Devils Lake State park is a small stream that holds brook trout.
    Turn right as you exit the park on S. Lake Rd, go past County Road DL and you will see the stream in a couple hundred yards or so. It’s not a very big stream at all but I’ve been told repeatedly there are brook trout in there and I have seen people fishing it.
    There is also a hiking trail that goes thru a marsh right next to that area as well. Don’t remember the name of it off the top of my head but if you get to Merry Mac’s camp ground, you’ve gone to far.

Black Earth creek is another good choice. A bit further away but it’s a much bigger and better trout stream.
    Google “Black Earth Creek, Dane, Wisconsin”.

For the record, although I have gone trout fishing when I was younger, I certainly would not call myself a trout fisherman. I did however, grow up in this area and know it pretty well.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Devils Lake is a fine trout fishery. These are the trout species there:

Complete List of Fish at Devil’s Lake:

Rainbow Trout
    Brown Trout
    Brook Trout

onestout
    Hudson, WI

If you have a boat or any way to get out on the lake go straight out from the landing and slip bobber minnows. The trout circle the lake and come through every 20-40 minutes. It’s been a few years since I’ve done it but they are fun fight on an ultralight.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

stout-
    this is what i’ve done most of the time down there also, and it’s even more effective at dusk and dawn.

BUT, i also did well on my tube test of my streamer flies towed behind a row/paddled (sail, EM or small banger are prohibited)(velcro rod holder were quite exciting!!)

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

BUT, i also did well on my tube test of my streamer flies towed behind a row/paddled (sail, EM or small banger are prohibited)

Electric motors are allowed on Devil’s Lake….
    I have only fished it once for trout and it was a blast (and beautiful! )

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

hey,mud, us cheddarheads understand that we can’t TROLL with electric motors in wi (most places), but the silly wood ducks over in MN don’t know that. I was referring to TROLLING with an electric motor, sail or 2/4banger.
    i too enjoyed the fishing.
    and ate well. (all the trout are P&T)

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Well you should have been more specific then…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.