Boat covers?

• mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I’m looking for advise on boat covers. I want something that is trailerable and I may sometimes store it outside. Was looking torwards custom made snap on cover but I remember when my buddy had 1 the snaps would get full of ice in late fall and make it imposable to get the cover snapped on.

BBKK
    IA

What boat? I would contact the company and get a custom cover for it through them. It will fit tight and you wont have to worry about it blowing up like a balloon while on the road.

kidfish

I have a friend who made me a custom fit cover with the ratchet straps instead of the snaps. It’s similar to what Ranger has now. It has the vents and fit my Pro-V perfectly. He also made the same type of cover for another friends Yar-Craft.
    It’s almost like storing a boat inside. No moisture build up and it goes down the road with out any problems.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

I take WD-40 to my snaps in the fall, seems to help. I cut a dime out of a piece of thin cardboard and give each snap a shot. How much are you willing on spending on a boat cover? Allum. or fiberglass boat?

kroger3
    blaine mn

Go custom. In the long run you will be way better off! No matter how good of a big box cover you buy that is for your specific model it still will not fit like a custom made one. They will take in account to any extras you may want and a place like north country canvas will stand behind there work! I am a fan of a snap cover but keep in mind they are snaps and just like anything you will have one go bad at some point but are easily repairable. My only complaint about a snap cover is they can be tight to put on in below freezing weather. Mine has many many miles on it winter and summer with out a flaw. Worth every penny to go custom!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’m rathger happy with the product that my last snap cover was made with, called “Top Gun”.

Trailering, Moring, storing durring the winter. It’s an all around cover w/ a 1% streach/shrink rate as I recall, stick an all through the fabric and try to get it to rip through,,, not gon’a happin!

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Custom Covers By Wersinger/Satterlee just east of Waterloo. 319-234-5416. They made the snap-on cover for my boat. Great people and fast turn around.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

The boats a crestliner fishhawk and I wasn’t to impressed with the factory cover wich was a $725 option. I don’t mind spending that amount but I think i can get better quality for the same price with a custom cover. What do you guys with snap on covers do in freezing conditions? I like the fit and travel of the snap on cover just had issues with ice build up in the snaps on the boat. I might have to ask the custom cover people if they have any other ways they can fasten them.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Thanks smithkeith ill give them a call.

BBKK
    IA

They can do snaps or straps down to the trailer.

as for the snaps freezing, you should get a couple cans of that de-icer and throw it in your truck. Its safe for paint on cars/trucks so it wont hurt your boat. One spray and the ice is gone.

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

They can do snaps or straps down to the trailer.

as for the snaps freezing, you should get a couple cans of that de-icer and throw it in your truck. Its safe for paint on cars/trucks so it wont hurt your boat. One spray and the ice is gone.

X-2

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Never had a prlbem with ice but guess I don’t fish much that time of the year. I think the deicer would be a quick fix. Other times of the year when snaps start to stick, I just use bar soap and apply to each male snap and that fixes the problem. Can’t remember what I paid for my cover but don’t think it was in the $700 range and my boat is an Alumacraft 185CS Tournament Pro.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.