vanish line question

• tomberg
    Rochester,MN.

I was tying on to a small swivel attached to lead core,my knots kept breaking when I tightened down,finally got one to hold..but should I trust it? I wetted the line before tighting,is there a better knot?

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

What knot are you using? For braid some knots will slip, but mono or flouro ive found alot of knots to work. I suggest the knot that is simuliar to shoe tying. Palomar knot i believe its called?

BBKK
    IA

Vanish and vicious have always given me trouble. I stay away from them.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

also if the line is old or been used it can be frayed or weak in spots.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Ie been having the same issues as of the last 5 years or so. Not sure if the line manufacturers changed something or what. Doesn’t matter how old or new the line is either.

Some knots do work better than others for me. I have always used the improved clinch knot with great success. Now I have issues with it. So now I’ve been using the triple loop with better success. I believe that the majority of my problems have to do with the way it is tightened. If you pull the wrong ends at the wrong time, they’ll break. I’m sure others will weigh in on this.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If you have a smartphone, download the Knot Wars app. I’ve learned so many great knots and you can use the app when you need it on the water.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Check out the triline knot. Ez, fast, very strong. Just went to the garage and tied a jig quick to double check- she’s good to go for vanish too- I use it for about everything. If u want to ditch the swivel u could double uni knot the sheath of the lead core to your vanish and then triline knot to your snap.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I use 4lb Vanish in the winter and use 6lb in the spring/summer for lindy snells. The first year Vanish hit the market it was garbage. It has since improved.

I have always tied a Polymer knot and have always been happy.

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

Vanish and vicious have always given me trouble. I stay away from them.

Same here. Vanish breaks way too easy. Has memory like you wouldn’t believe. I spend a few more dollars and get Sunline, don’t have to worry about knot slips or line memory, like I did when I used vanish.

tomberg
    Rochester,MN.

brand new line,14lb.palomor knot, just using for the leader,thanks for the info. makes me a little nervous to use it..

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

No issues with Vanish here. Under 10# test use the regular clinch knot w/ 8/9 wraps. Do not use the improved clinch. Once I get over 10# line I start to use a palomar. Of course don’t forget to wet your knots.

I use it on all ice fishing rods and as leader material in open water. I have nothing but trust in this line and have zero issues with it.

dorancehefte
    Wisconsin

The improved UNI knot hasn’t failed me in more than 3 years of fishing 150 to 200 days a year. Go through the eye twice and then tie a regular UNI. Be sure you wet the line before snugging it down. The double UNI is all I use for tying 2 lines together. If you tie to Fireline, you may want to use an extra wrap or 2 of the Fireline with 4 to 8 lb. line.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

are you trying to join vanish to lead core? if that is the case, skip the swivel and tie a wilis knot. to tie the knot, remove the last few inches of lead from the outer sheath. slide the vanish into the sheath and then a simple overhand knot. if more strength is needed, tie a double or even triple overhand knot. the sheath will protect the vanish and the knots will always be tight.

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

X2 but I palomar all of it.

Quote:

No issues with Vanish here. Under 10# test use the regular clinch knot w/ 8/9 wraps. Do not use the improved clinch. Once I get over 10# line I start to use a palomar. Of course don’t forget to wet your knots.

I use it on all ice fishing rods and as leader material in open water. I have nothing but trust in this line and have zero issues with it.

foxman79
    Anoka, MN

Quote:

are you trying to join vanish to lead core? if that is the case, skip the swivel and tie a wilis knot. to tie the knot, remove the last few inches of lead from the outer sheath. slide the vanish into the sheath and then a simple overhand knot. if more strength is needed, tie a double or even triple overhand knot. the sheath will protect the vanish and the knots will always be tight.

x2!!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I have been “into” fluoro for some years now. I have been aligned with James’ reply but recently a lot of new information is coming out of the professional Bass fishermen as they are really embracing the fluorocarbon more than any other type.

Pleae check out this video… the knot is easy and really holds!

best fluoro knot?

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Vanish cost me some fish with it breaking earlier this year so like some others I have lost faith in it. Back to Mono for me.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I will be trying that knot

I have allways used a palomar knot, I would cinch it up snug,make sure it was not to tight. and then put a dab of tippet glue on the knot.

mojogunter

Lost too many fish due to vanish snapping. It was several years ago, and may be better now, but no way I will give it another chance. Junk forever for me.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.