Birch for firewood……

• timmy

Okay all of you wood burning guru’s…. I found a motherload of birch at a friends place – easily accessible and free (two awesome traits in firewood). It is all dead/standing birch that has been dead anywhere from 2-5 yrs. I know birch generally gets punky and will rot if not split to dry……so how long will a standing birch tree last before going punky?

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I would test cut one but I would think its punky already. We do not bother with birch at all for the reason of going punky even when split. Does look great on the rack in the house.

Mwal

Jake_A

From my experience you’re looking at about three years before the tree starts to get punky. If you cut the trees down, and they break into 10 pieces, move on to the next one. If the tree falls and stays solid, you’re good to go its a fast burning wood, but puts out a LOT of heat.

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

If you are in a cutting mood, there are plenty of campsites that might be interested in the birch. You can maybe make some money or work out a trade of some kind. Just a thought.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Quote:

From my experience you’re looking at about three years before the tree starts to get punky. If you cut the trees down, and they break into 10 pieces, move on to the next one. If the tree falls and stays solid, you’re good to go its a fast burning wood, but puts out a LOT of heat.

what he said!!!!! once its split its good for a while. makes great campfire wood for cooking over. could make some ching selling to people with fireplaces! i would think if dead 3-5 years it should be good if there still standing upright.!!!

timmy

Thanks for the replies. If they turn out to be in good shape, I plan to cut/split 15 or so cords this fall. This will be for home heating. Lots of standing trees that still have their little branches on them, but are dead. All within truck/trailer access…….hundreds of them.

Free is key.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. If they turn out to be in good shape, I plan to cut/split 15 or so cords this fall. This will be for home heating. Lots of standing trees that still have their little branches on them, but are dead. All within truck/trailer access…….hundreds of them.

Free is key.

Be prepared to fire often, very hot but often and it does not leave any coals like a hardwood does.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.