Crotch Rocket Wreck

• starvin pilgrim

I was the first person on the scene of an incident just out side of Millville last Saturday afternoon. I’ve had first aid training my hole life, starting with Boy Scouts, but I don’t think very many people are really ready to use it when the time comes. Trying to call 911 while trying to keep the guy still is not an easy task. And then try to give the operator proper location. Luckily the Zumbro Falls Rescue showed up after about 15 minutes. Watching those guys working as calm as if they were baking a cake was something to see. He had a severely broken leg[which I won’t describe] but he was smart enough to be wearing a heavy leather jacket ,gloves, and a helmet. Another sad thing, it was his first bike and he had bought it only 6 hours earlier.

Now, to all you Rocket riders, Not all, but many of you that want to haul [censored] on our roads, pass on a double yellow line, scare the crap out of people when you come out of no where, and push the envelope to get your thrills. Remember, the people who live on and need to drive these roads are the same ones, like me, who may have to help save your [censored]!

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Very good reminder and i’m glad the guy is going to make it. I was one of those dumb 19 year old kids that had a head on collision on a rocket with a car, and not wearing a helmet. I made it but it was a tough recovery.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

targaman-
    for the sake of some of our younger members, i invite you to describe in all but the most vivid graphic way, what your experience was like…

superstar
    Breezy Point, MN

It’s not just crotch rockets, I”ve had my fair share of aholes on harleys with no helmets or protective gear.

buck-slayer

I remember in highschool telling my mom I was going to get a cycle. Her reply was no your not. So I said I was getting one when I turned 18 and she said no your not. She was a nurse and saw plenty of people go through the ER. Never did get one and I don’t think I’d be here today if I did. Both my girls want scooters at college I said no. I think they would be good drivers. But to many drivers don’t see cycles.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Umm helmets over 30 mph don’t help a person. (Source Bell Helmet Company)

I have a deep rooted love for riding my “scooters”, but as I get older, they (not the bikes, the accidents) scare the hell out of me. I don’t heal like I once did.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Quote:

targaman-
    for the sake of some of our younger members, i invite you to describe in all but the most vivid graphic way, what your experience was like…

Agreed. We could all do to learn to learn from other peoples’ mistakes. Especially in things like this.

My dad had a friend in high school (Mankato) who had just bought his new bike. He was going down the big hill into town and needed to slow down because he was behind a school bus that was slowing down. It was at that point that his,complete inexperience took over and he clamped down hard…

On the front brake.

He was wearing a helmet, so he survived… still, going airborne into the back end of a school bus that’s going 15 mph slower that you are while still going 40-50 mph will put a huge dent in your summer, among many other things.

Rider safety traing is NOT just for newbs!

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

When rockets first came on the scene 30 years ago, I remember an insurance agent tellng me the average life of a new crotch cracker was 500 miles. Just enough time on the bike for the rookie rider to get stupid…

Lots of sad stories…. I cringe when I see a kid on a rocket weaving through traffic with his girlfriend on back, both in shorts, sandals, shirt and no helmet.

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

It’s sad, but they usually kill a few on that road each summer. The races and Spring Creek always bring out a few extra each year also. There was quite the group leaving Red Wing on Sunday when I headed home also, about 50 mph past quick trip heading out of town on 58 – not sure how far they made it either.

Be safe, slow down, wear the gear and not matter what BK says , wear the helmet!

ccales
    Mpls, MN

When I was in college I had a choice, bike or boat. I chose boat and I’m glad I did.

ekruger01

I too was one of those slant bike enthusiasts, one summer my cousin and I both got into bikes really bad following our fathers footsteps, by the end of summer, a T bone later, my cousin is now paralyzed in his right arm, and spent many hours under the knife and in recovery trying to fix something that could have been prevented. the worst part is, it was a lady on her cell that pulled out in front of him and he couldnt do anything to prevent it. He still continues to ride a gixer with one arm, and recently passed his riders edge course….I give him props for getting back on a bike he has bigger cahonas then I.

I now will not ever ride another slant bike. I got on one last summer for under a half hour and just know that I will end up the same way if I ever buy another. Give me a cruiser. To ride you must first respect the bike…..

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Quote:

Umm helmets over 30 mph don’t help a person. (Source Bell Helmet Company)

Bell is correct it may not help you, but it makes the clean up a lot easier when everything is in the general area. If you need to just talk to someone to share what you have seen and how you feel, shoot me a PM. I do it for a living and I know the sleepless nights that can come with it if you’re not prepared.

johnlaqua
    Pool 3/Pool 4

I ride a rocket, and what I notice is this….. there’s a lot of people out there quick to point the finger at a rider on a rocket who does somethin stupid, or daring, or riding the fine line of both, and this thread proves it….. but how many harley guys do the same things? Or even people in autos for that matter? Before you point your fingers, check your hands, are they clean? Hope so

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

and this thread proves it….. but how many harley guys do the same things?

Dear Mr. Rocket Rider,

What this thread proves is…dead is dead no matter who’s fault it is.

Keep both wheels on the ground and live long.

johnlaqua
    Pool 3/Pool 4

Quote:

Dear Mr. Rocket Rider,

Very true, but how many people now automatically think I ride wheelies and drive 150mph now? I’d be willing to bet 90% ….. guilt by association

spkwms
    N.E. Iowa

“Crotch Rocket Riders” also called “Organ Donors”

stevenoak

In high school my brother did a one and a half @50mph and went head first into the pavement.While trying to stand up on the seat He would argue with Mr Bell.Think that would have been a “dirt nap” for him if not for the helmet.He did find out he was extremely allergic to asphalt,broke out in one heck of a rash.Some times in life we MAKE our own bad luck.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Very true, but how many people now automatically think I ride wheelies and drive 150mph now? I’d be willing to bet 90% ….. guilt by association

People! Just because these bikes are made to go 150 mph on one wheel, most of the owners drive them under 35 and only on Sundays touring.

Don’t even need association…guilty.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

Quote:

Dear Mr. Rocket Rider,

You buy them or build them to see what they can do, no man who has ever had a motor cycle, muscle car,or speed boat, can honestly say I never did anything stupid with it.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

…no man who has ever had a motor cycle, muscle car,or speed boat, can honestly say I never did anything stupid with it.

Ain’t that the truth! Heck, I did my fair share of stupid crap with an ’84 Plymouth Reliant.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I did my fair share with the 64 Ramble with a 146 engine.

Couple times I shouldn’t be here now because of the stupid stuff I did and more than a couple times I shouldn’t be here once my Dad found out.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Yup, crotch rockets are dangerous, same could be said for all you guys running them big HP boats, running across the water at 50-60 mph and more, just waiting for a mishap to kill or main the rest of the people on the water.

I’ve rode a bike since the mid 60’s and the worst I ever got was on a Harley running down a side street about 2am, some guy come out of a ally with no lights on, T boned me and drove off, considering we were a couple blocks for the bars on 26th and 26, I’m betting he was coming home from one of them and not trying to get caught DWI.

Bad or foolish drivers are the problem, not sport bikes.

And I’m sure somebody is going to bring up “you don’t need
    a bike that goes 150mph either”, I’d think the same holds true for boats, 35mph is just as fast as you ever need to go on the water..:)

Unfortnately it seems the mostly younger and dumb riders are on sport bikes, and they become dangerous very quickly.

Al

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

After burying a cousin and a good friend in one summer and visiting another friend in the hospital for 3 months ( all of them hit by in/non attentive drivers) I sold my 360 Yami and my 750 Kawi and haven’t looked back. I always said I’d buy another one when they ban all cars from the road. I love to ride but I love to live more.

JimmyClark
    Eagle Point Wi. USA

Speeding is dangerous, it is as simple as that! Driving too fast for conditions is continually one of the leading causes of all accidents, if not the number 1 cause. Heck, even hurrying through a woodworking project can lead to drastic consequences if using a table saw!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

same could be said for all you guys running them big HP boats,

Only the guys running the 300 hp’s.

Said it pretty well Al, I’m not against any kind of bike, I’m against stupid…yeah, that starts with me.

BTW I’m having a Guns, Drugs, Alcohol and motorcycle party next week. Anyone want to come?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

…even hurrying through a woodworking project can lead to drastic consequences if using a table saw!

Amen to that!

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

same here Brian, bu tmine was a ’58 studebaker. Got it up to 80mph in the rockies in the late ’70s…

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

BTW I’m having a Guns, Drugs, Alcohol and motorcycle party next week. Anyone want to come?

Count me in!!!

Mark

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

BTW I’m having a Guns, Drugs, Alcohol and motorcycle party next week.

At my house, we call that a “Thursday”.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.