Trolling Rods….Medium Light or Medium?

• Al Case

I’m looking at buying trolling rods for walleyes. I’d like to use them for flat lining and lead core. I’ve settled on 8’6″ but am not sure which power. The medium lights I’m looking at are rated for 8-20 lb. line. The mediums are 10-20 lb. The ones I’m looking at are the C store Depthmaster rods. Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks!
    Al

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

medium or medium heavy if leadcore otherwise best deal

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I’d go medium at least and probably medium heavy if pulling any lead.

Al Case

You’ve convinced me not to get medium light. Thanks for your input. Any feedback on the Depthmaster rods in general would be appreciated.
    Thanks again!

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

I’m heading up to the pond in the morning with some friends and have 6 DM rods rigged for flatline and lead core trolling. The ones that I use the most are 8’6″ telescoping planer board rods. I run fireline on them and they have a sensitive enough tip to see a change in the action of a #5 shallow shad rap 130 feet back due to picking up a weed or leaf. i’ve also used them as downrigger rods and to pull boards and lead core. I’ve caught a pile of walleyes on them including some pretty nice ones. They are good rods for the money, expecially if you watch for them to be on sale.

fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

Quote:

I’m looking at buying trolling rods for walleyes. I’d like to use them for flat lining and lead core. I’ve settled on 8’6″ but am not sure which power. The medium lights I’m looking at are rated for 8-20 lb. line. The mediums are 10-20 lb. The ones I’m looking at are the C store Depthmaster rods. Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks!
    Al

I think the medium would work great how about the rod tip? I like a fast action tip or X- fast tip to tell you what the lure is doing.

Al Case

I went with two of the 9′ Medium telescoping Cabela’s Depthmaster planer board rods, Smokin’. They’re on sale for $35 ($45 in store, but they gave me the online price). I figured you can’t go wrong for that price. It won’t break the bank if I don’t like them. I also have two Depthmaster 5′ shorties, that I only paid $20 each for, as part of a package deal with the reels and shorties. Cabelas matched prices with FF for the Daiwa reels, after all of that. So, they only cost me $54 each.

Bottom line? I got the 2 5’rod and reel combos for a grand total of $80 per combo. And, the 2 9′ rods for $35 each.

So, now I have 2 Daiwa 27LCW’s and 2 Cabelas Depthmaster line counters, (that I already had) spooled with 12 lb. Suffix Advanced Lead Core. They will hold 6 colors or more. I went with 6. I do have one Okuma line counter with 8 colors on it, and it’s about the same size as the Daiwa 27’s and the Cabelas reels.

Thanks to all of you for the advice.

Al

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.