St Croix Avid ML Extra Fast or Fast Action??

• Al Case

I’ve narrowed my search for a lindy rig walleye spinning rod down to the St. Croix Avid series 7′ medium light,fast action or the 7’6″ medium light, extra fast action. Any opinions out there would be appreciated.
    I’m set on this rod series because I broke a St. Croix legend and this is the rod they will send me as a replacement.
    This rod will be strictly a lindy rig rod, as I have plenty of rods for other applications.
    Thanks,
    Al

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

The 7’6 only comes in x-fast. There is a one piece and two piece model. I have used the one piece for many years and its the best rigging rod on the market.

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

I use the 7 footer and it’s a great rod. I was just up on Leech rigging with it using the new northland slick sticks in a 1oz. size and it even handled the heavier weight really well. I know you said strictly lindy rigging but this rod is great for pitching cranks too.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Quote:

The 7’6 only comes in x-fast. There is a one piece and two piece model. I have used the one piece for many years and its the best rigging rod on the market.

Until you buy a legend elite 7’6″ML XF.

Al Case

Why do you like the extra fast over the fast (for those of you who do) or vise versa?

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I have fished them both and give the nod to the 76MLXF for rigging… The 76 has slightly more backbone and leverage(due to the extra length) for a better hookset.
    I am puzzled as to how they downgraded your damaged Elite to an Avid? It must have been an older/obselete model?

scott-k
    Red Wing

Tom beat me to the question by a whisker…why the downgrade? Just curious…totally your business.

I also agree on the MLXF — not only more backbone, but the tip will load up better IMO. The XF tip is more sensitive.

Good Luck!

Al Case

“I am puzzled as to how they downgraded your damaged Elite to an Avid? It must have been an older/obselete model?”

It wasn’t an Elite, Tom. It was an older Legend. But, maybe I should ask them again, eh?

BBKK
    IA

What size weights do you pull usually?

I typically pull 1/4-3/8 and have no problems with a 6’6ML Fast. If I was going to buy a new rod for lindy rigging, I would buy the 7′ ML Fast. The extra tip would sure help, but 7’6 is too long for me and my boat.

Al Case

I will pull anywhere from 1/8 to 3/8 typically.
    Thanks for all of your suggestions so far!
    Al

Quote:

What size weights do you pull usually?

I typically pull 1/4-3/8 and have no problems with a 6’6ML Fast. If I was going to buy a new rod for lindy rigging, I would buy the 7′ ML Fast. The extra tip would sure help, but 7’6 is too long for me and my boat.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

“I am puzzled as to how they downgraded your damaged Elite to an Avid? It must have been an older/obselete model?”

It wasn’t an Elite, Tom. It was an older Legend. But, maybe I should ask them again, eh?

That is “different”… Legends have been over $300 retail for at least 10+ years…What year was it?
    Sorry, not meaning to hijack the thread… something is not adding up to me… An Avid is a $180 level rod…Those “old” Brown Legends will absolutely blow away a new Avid…JMHO I would check on an up grade…

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Quote:

That is “different”… Legends have been over $300 retail for at least 10+ years…What year was it?
    Sorry, not meaning to hijack the thread… something is not adding up to me… An Avid is a $180 level rod…Those “old” Brown Legends will absolutely blow away a new Avid…JMHO I would check on an up grade…

X2 – which goes to TravP’s point about the elite offering. Hard to beat how lightweight those rods are. If you do alot of rigging, the weight alone is a major selling point.

Joel

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.