Lake Wapogasset(Amery Wisconsin)

• Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows if Lake Wapogasset is a good fishing lake. I am looking at some property there. I heard it is really good………but for some reason I have never fished. Let me know if anyone has some info. Thanks.

Chad

jryan
    Rochester, MN

hey chad
    Used to go there alot 15 years ago for walleyes and bass. the walleyes where pretty nice caught most at night long lining shallow. They tended to supend during the day, if you found them on graph it was hot action for awhile. Some guys pulled planer boards for them and did real well. Had a couple of awesome openings at midnight casting jigs shallow when it was a late spawn. Tough to find during day in summer. The bass fishing used to be good but a lot of people would keep them during the spawn and I think this hurt the population pretty bad, they would run up the creek to a dam and be easy pickun,s. people would site fish them and walk around with chain stringers on there belt full of them, sickening sight to see but it was not against the law.
    Overall nice lake whith a lot of pressure dont really know how it is now, hope this helps

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Overall, “Wappy” is still one of the best fisheries in the area. There is a lot of pressure but I think there’s a fair amount of CPR goes on. I know the north end of the lake a lot better than any other part but I’ve had plenty of great days on her and rare is the day I can’t find something biting. There are still some pig bass, pike, and muskie to be found. I never targeted the walleyes but done well getting a few while trolling for crappies. White bass can really entertain the snot out of you too if you throw ’em a little Heddon top water. Whenever you see a small area with the surface popping slightly, they’re not bluegills! They won’t touch a hook and worm or little panfish tube too often, but a small topwater is an instant battle!

Ice fishing seems to be a big deal up there but I’ve never done well through the ice.

Another nice thing is that you’ve got TONS of options very close to home if you feel like fishing somewhere else. Bear Trap, Twin Lakes, Apple River………………anwhere in the Amery area is convenient and condusive to some decent fishing. If it wasn’t, you wouldn’t have all the fishing pressure! They’re all there for a reason.

Good luck in your research and if you take the property, I look forward to having someone up there who frequents the site! We need more activity in the WI lake forums.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

I fish Wapo a couple 2-3 times a year. It’s produced for me some nice bass. It does get really busy durning the summer with a lot of recreational traffic, but it’s big enough to handle it. Really nice lakes within 30 minute drive too! I don’t think you could go wrong.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.