Best anchor to use on Mille Lacs?

• bclii
    MN/AZ

Looking for an anchor that will hold my 21′ boat in gravel and mud. I think if one will hold you in gravel, it will also hold in mud and sand.
    thanks

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I use a 28′ Navy Anchor with 3 feet of chain. I never have a problem holding on Mille Lacs.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

A 28 foot anchor? That’s a biggun!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

28 pound river anchor. 3 feet of chain, 100 foot of rope. [image]http://[/image]

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

35 pound navy for my 20ft pro v. never ever slipped on any type of bottom in any wind. you also get your daily workout in if you pull it a few times a hour

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

Ok I hate anchoring because I never seem to stick and when I do I’m never where I want to be but anyway, how does the chain help?

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I still have not had any problems with my waterspike, just need to deploy it right and she sticks every time.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

A chain protects the rope near the anchor from getting weak while rubbing on rocks or debris while anchored. It also adds a bit of weight to help hold. A good rule of thumb is to let out 3′ of rope per foot of water you are fishing in some waves to help hold, if less wind then less rope.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

oh and don’t skimp on the rope, sometimes your rope can cost more than the anchor.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

how does the chain help?

It helps keep the anchor stuck because the heavy chain lays on the bottom. When the boat bobs up and down, it will move the chain and not the anchor. It also helps keep the anchor tipped on it’s side like it should be.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Where does a guy get rubber coated chain?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

When I was younger, all I used was that 28 pound navy anchor. They do work well in most all conditions.

Blow your back out a few times and you will ditch that anchor like a bad habit!

The good old Water Spike is an excellent anchor for Mille Lacs. But even with that said, I can’t wait to blow my current Powerdrive and upgrade to a Terrova with spot lock!

-J.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Spike… why lug the extra weight in and out

bclii
    MN/AZ

Quote:

I would say Ipilot.

My Grady White has too high bow, can’t mount I-pilot!

the_hat
    SE Metro

Richter Anchor with 3′ of chain.

Take an old bicycle tire tube and pull the chain through it.

25lb richter should hold your boat fine.

The sea spikes work if you drop them just right, I agree, but they aren’t worth a **** in the weeds.

bclii
    MN/AZ

Quote:

I use a 28′ Navy Anchor with 3 feet of chain. I never have a problem holding on Mille Lacs.

I’ve tried a 28# river anchor, no chain though, and it does not hold my Grady White in the gravel!

bclii
    MN/AZ

Quote:

35 pound navy for my 20ft pro v. never ever slipped on any type of bottom in any wind. you also get your daily workout in if you pull it a few times a hour

I’ve tried the 28# without any luck, does the 35# hold that much more?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

The sea spikes work if you drop them just right, I agree, but they aren’t worth a **** in the weeds.

Where are you anchoring on Mille in the weeds ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.