North Dakotas Oil Boom

• Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

It will go back to “close to normal”.

We used to hunt in the town of Ekalaka, MT. It used to be as you described. Then the farmers got greedy and started charging high dollars for access to land. About the same time motels popped up all over in town to accomidate all the hunters. It got to be so you couldn’t park in town on a Fri or Sat night.

Eventually the hunters got sick of the jacked up prices and bailed. Now Ekalaka is back to its ghost town status.

Same thing happened around there with the oil rig boom. Same thing is happening now in ND with the oil rig boom. It will never go back to what it was but it will get close.

buck-slayer

Quote:

I have a similar feeling about those God awful wind turbines.

I travel home to Southern Wi (West Bend) and see alot of windmills. I have never talked to anyone who lives near them . Is there noise or vibrations? I would not have a problem if these were in my back yard. I think its impressive to see these windmills in action.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I heard a guy built a motel out there. Charges $300 per night, per room. He is sold out for the next 3 years.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Right now as I type I am listening to the sounds of guys who are young, dumb, and full of… spunk ripping around town in their semi-monster trucks. Williston is dirty, dusty, and is getting beat to a pulp. This boom has staying power. The company I work for plans on being out here for the next 30 years. The Bakken oil field is huge. Eventually you will see wells for 200 miles in all directions. My company is responsible for over 300 miles of pipe in the ground over the last 4 months Williston will never again be the sleepy little town it was.

dd

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

I travel home to Southern Wi (West Bend) and see alot of windmills. I have never talked to anyone who lives near them . Is there noise or vibrations? I would not have a problem if these were in my back yard. I think its impressive to see these windmills in action.

I don’t think there is any audible noise or anything you can feel. However, I thought I read somewhere that they think that it might be linked with some health issues, possibly mental health issues? Don’t quote me.

Impressive, sure. But I would not want to see one everyday personally. When I see them, they look so out of place and ruin natures skyline. That being said, a fracking site isn’t exactly a beautiful thing.

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

I have several 100 within 5 miles of me and drive by them everyday. If you get really close you hear those big blades turning. Yes, they take up air space, but until someone comes up with a better alternative to our electrical needs I think they are great. Pretty darn clean and quiet compared to some ways of producing energy. I just hope all that keep complaining about these energies are NOT the same that will complain about the cost of gas, electric, forgeign fuels etc. Can’t have it both ways people.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don’t think there is any audible noise or anything you can feel. However, I thought I read somewhere that they think that it might be linked with some health issues, possibly mental health issues? Don’t quote me.

Impressive, sure. But I would not want to see one everyday personally. When I see them, they look so out of place and ruin natures skyline. That being said, a fracking site isn’t exactly a beautiful thing.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

Can’t have it both ways people.

Well, sure we can. Just read through many of the replies above.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I have several 100 within 5 miles of me and drive by them everyday. If you get really close you hear those big blades turning. Yes, they take up air space, but until someone comes up with a better alternative to our electrical needs I think they are great. Pretty darn clean and quiet compared to some ways of producing energy. I just hope all that keep complaining about these energies are NOT the same that will complain about the cost of gas, electric, forgeign fuels etc. Can’t have it both ways people.

Hey, I don’t care. As long as they are in someone else’s backyard and I don’t have to see them every day, it is fine with me. As long as they don’t spread where I have to see them everyday. In fact they should just make Iowa 1 giant wind farm and be done with it.

We do have better alternatives with smaller footprints.

Fracking/Wind in Maryland

I don’t complain about the cost of gas, electric, foreign fuels because they are the cheapest and they don’t infringe on my cost of living.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Kind of ironic how the wind blows a thread off its original intent.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Ok, I wonder how much fun hunting in ND would be if you sat in a deer stand near a field where a windmill was blowing. I wonder if that is a better alternative.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Quote:

Right now as I type I am listening to the sounds of guys who are young, dumb, and full of… spunk ripping around town in their semi-monster trucks. Williston is dirty, dusty, and is getting beat to a pulp. This boom has staying power. The company I work for plans on being out here for the next 30 years. The Bakken oil field is huge. Eventually you will see wells for 200 miles in all directions. My company is responsible for over 300 miles of pipe in the ground over the last 4 months Williston will never again be the sleepy little town it was.

dd

Whew! Thanks for an accurate report of what’s going on. I do a lot of business up there and hear the same thing from everyone. Although there is a downside, I think this is huge for the economy nationwide. It’s oil in the US. Anything to free up our foreign dependence is a great thing.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

There is a caveat, however. $60 dollar a barrel oil or less might grind this boom to a screeching halt. Oil was $110 bucks a barrel back in February when I got out here. It is currently at $78.50 a barrel. $60 is the price I hear most often for shutting things down. So cheap abundant oil is great for drivers; but it is bad for continuing a boom.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

There is a caveat, however. $60 dollar a barrel oil or less might grind this boom to a screeching halt. Oil was $110 bucks a barrel back in February when I got out here. It is currently at $78.50 a barrel. $60 is the price I hear most often for shutting things down. So cheap abundant oil is great for drivers; but it is bad for continuing a boom.

Ah yes, I have heard that take too and forgot about it. Good info.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

$80.00 a barrell for crude oil, currently.

Funny how volatile a barrel costs, and how seldom it reflects the cost of refined gas to the consumer.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Gas prices rise at a blink of an eye for any excuse and without hesitation, funny how slow they come down when the barrell price drops, sounds like someone wants to hold onto thier profit margin, so much for being fair and supply and demand.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Gas prices rise at a blink of an eye for any excuse and without hesitation, funny how slow they come down when the barrell price drops, sounds like someone wants to hold onto thier profit margin, so much for being fair and supply and demand.

Its very similar to stock in a company. The difference is world events cause crude prices to spike dramatically, because they don’t know if some conflict is going to cut into the supply. And these conflict and incidents usually happen quickly.

Actually it is more like ag futures. If there is a drought the prices sky rocket as people by up futures.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Right Pug and theres no need for it. Have any of the oil deliveries been interupted, has anything happened to the point where it has substancially slowed any oil delivery from anywhere, if there has been I haven’t seen it or heard about it. With all the turmoil in the mid east and politics in other countries and unsure elections in those countries it hasen’t slowed the flow of oil in the least. If anyone looked back to any of the oil produceing countries and whats happened in those countries it hasen’t slowed the flow of oil at all, too me its only an excuse. Even if it slowed the flow a bit in any one country the rest of the supply from other countries make up for it. The supply hasen’t been upset to the point to justify the price, thats why alot of people think its a good idea to take oil prices out of the hands of speculators, the price would remain more stable. Its been at the point of being totally rediculous and for too long. If you took the price of oil out of the speculators hands oil prices would stabelize,,,but why would they when theres so much money to be made.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Yeah sure. Maybe we should nationalize oil.

So you are saying we should demand that the rest of the world change the way oil is bought?

So how exactly would you sell crude then? What’s you plan?

Notice when politicians were going after speculators, it was all rhetoric. They know there was nothing they can do and this is just how crude is sold on the world market.

You say the flow of oil has not slowed in the least. How do you know this? Just because the local gas station never closed?

I left out another thing. You know it takes a while for countries to ramp up (and slow down) output of crude, right? Its not like a factory that can say, demand is up, lets go from 50 widgets a day to 75.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I understand what your saying Pug but who wants to pay for all the incorrectness, it may be the only way to buy and sell right now but isn’t there a better way to stabelize the price, beings nothings going wrong to slow deliveries. What I’m saying is when the price of oil by the barrel drops so should the price at the pump. I see the price diffrence going into the pockets of the oil companies instead of the savings going into ours too. To me theres no excuse because if thier paying less for a barrel, so should we, so much for adjusting the price at the pump to coinside with the barrel price. If they can raise the price every other day then they can also lower the price every other day, to me and others its just as easy to lower the price if thier buying in futures. If thier buying cheaper then so should we.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Oil price dropping won’t affect the gas price at the pump. One of those convenient refinery fires will pop up or a hurricane will shut down the gulf. Always an answer. Funny how the price in Rochester has gone up 20 cents in last 2 weeks.

desperado

We should appoint the people who run the TSA to also be in charge of our Petroleum market.

rugs
    Hastings, MN

then there are the regional differences. My wife is from Desoto Co. MS (Memphis). Gas is $2.999 there right now. Yet in Hastings it is $3.69.

desperado

Most things in MS are lower than in MN
    Price of Gas
    Elevation
    Median Income
    Avg number of teeth

just to name a few

Viewing 23 posts - 31 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.