Taxidermy

• farmboy1976

I live in Winona MN and am looking for a good taxidermist. Got a big walleye I would like to have mounted not sure if I want a 369 mount or a wall mount, maybe even a coffee table type.
    Anybody have info on area hot spots.
    Thanks.

newt
    Pillager, MN

I’ve had work done by Aaron Vold in Rochester and Ken Irish in Chatfield and have been very happy with both.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

It would be a bit of a drive for you, but I very highly recommend Tom Lenort of Tom’s Taxidermy in Clarks Grove,MN

I have both fish and bird mounts from him and they are top notch.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

How about replica ?

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Farmboy
    I have a good friend of mine who is great at taxidermy here in Winona. He has fish on display at Ace Hardware of Winona and Winona Bait and Tackle of Goodview if you want to see for yourself his work. He can do what ever you want even replicas. Anyone who wants can call him at (507)454-0065 (Ken).

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Dave, for future referance, who does replicas?

When I land the MN State record flathead, I’m going to have Cabellas do mine! (If you think I’m kidding…first off… to you….and secondly, look at my mug shot…. )

2Fishy4U

Dave,

I recomend Warren Rivette in Buffalo City, WI. Phone number is 608-248-3220. Personally, the real fish is better then a replica. Warren has mounted 2 Walleye, 2 Northern and a coupe of 15 inch Crappies for us. The Crappies and 1 each of the northern and walleye were replicas. Bottom line is aside from the Crappies they were just not the same fish. I would prefer to go with replicas, but there is a difference.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

pesonally, i think ALL fish mounts look FAKER (is that a word?) than all heck ……skin and replica both……no thanks…….if i wanted something that looks plastic i would save a couple hundred bucks and go pick up a Billy the Big Mouth Bass from Wally World…….

now what you should really consider doing………when you catch a big fish, snap a bunch (the whole roll) of photos…..take the best one and blow it up to life size……put a nice frame around it and hang that baby over your bed

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Is that how you got to look so ”cute” in your pic Jake?

[couldn’t resist Bud!]

Thanks, Bill

ps. for some strange reason it is soooooooooo much fun picking on Jake.

shouldn’t you be in class or something?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m with you Jake. I like pictures of live fish and smiling people!

If I had to choose between a skin mount or a replica, I would go replica as I’ve seen way too many skins mounts severely damaged and left looking horrible in 5 – 10 years or so by humidity, direct sunlight, smoke or damage by impact. Replicas can be cleaned easily, repaired inexpensively and hold up to against ravages of time very well.

Replicas done by artists that specialize in replica mounts look every bit as “natural” as any mount out there. Artistic Anglers is one outfit that does incredible work and they are able to “individualize” your catch as much as any work done with skin mounts.

Good photos and measurements are key with both types. If you simply bring in a fish for a mount, without photos taken when the fish was alive, then you’ll literally “get what you get” when you take delivery.

One of the most common “knocks” against replicas is someone will say “how would anyone know if you actually caught it or not?”

Anyone can go on Ebay and purchase any size skin mount they’d like, at any time. Same as with a replica. So that one just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Photos are timeless and quite difficult to forge w/o rendering the photo looking rediculous and easy to spot as a phony.

Congrats on the big walleye. Of the guys that do skin mounts, I’d say Tom in Clark’s Grove does the best work I’ve seen.

Quote:

pesonally, i think ALL fish mounts look FAKER (is that a word?) than all heck ……skin and replica both……no thanks…….if i wanted something that looks plastic i would save a couple hundred bucks and go pick up a Billy the Big Mouth Bass from Wally World…….

now what you should really consider doing………when you catch a big fish, snap a bunch (the whole roll) of photos…..take the best one and blow it up to life size……put a nice frame around it and hang that baby over your bed

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks James!

99% of my fish have their picture taken with me…(leave that one alone Jake ) But there will be a time when that one special one comes along and I’ll spend the big bucks to have it on the wall. The replica is the way to go because of everything you mentioned. I’ve lost 4 ducks because of “old age”.

Bill, the reason Jake is using a goat is because it’s the only way he can get hair on his face…..

Have I mentioned lately that I love that little blue guy? (umm, I’m not talking about Jake here)

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Bill……..

BK………

and James…….

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

In your dreams Jake!!!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Hey, I’m just glad he put up a mug shot, so I know who to stay away from on the river!!!!!!!!!!

By the way Jake, you need to see your “old” fishing machine……….

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

I have had a couple of eyes done…
    One is 11 years old now and still looks good to me.
    Had them done by Bucks 608-685-4130.
    I have never had any replicas done can’t comment on that one.
    Some of my finest trophy’s are on film and the fish is still swimming…the new digital cameras are fantastic..catch your fish and take at least 6 to 12 photos different angles and smiles…this is the best system..and let it go so you can do it again……

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

About 15 years ago I had a dandy walleye, and discussed weather to have it mounted or not. I decided NOT to ans within munutes she was back into the lake i caught her in…(after a dozen pictures and measurements) and after discussing this with several friends back then Artistic Creations was brought up then…The one in Nissawa MN. I still have all the pix and measurements and at that time it was my largest walleye…But I just HATE dusting…

LazyEyez
    Arcadia, WI

I had a Walleye done this Spring by Dan’s Taxidermy in Onalaska/LaCrosse area. He did a great job !! I have gotten nothing but compliments on how great the colors, fins, gills etc have turned out.

If you live closer to Plainview I would highly recommend McHugh’s Taxidermy !! Does a great job on fish and an awesome job on turkeys.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I ‘spose I could look up the web sites, but that what this site is for….

What does a mount cost? (Stay away from that one too Jake!) If I recall they are normally priced per inch. Has anyone used replicas? What’s their cost?

Never thought about dusting…but that’s what winter is for.

Jake, it looks like you have a five oclock shadow in that picture….Have you been messing around with the photo editor again?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.