Opti Tackle Planer Boards

• Al Case

Does anyone know anything about these boards. Apparently they are new. There are two sizes. Not knowing anything about planer boards, but wanting to try them, I’m looking for info on if these boards are any good, and which size to use for which baits/crankbaits.
    Any advice and info would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Al

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I don’t know about those particular boards, but I’ve ran off shores, Church boards, and yellow birds. Off shore have been by far the best. Church boards like to dive on me,and the yellow birds rode well but weren’t as easy to use as the off shores.

In rougher water (legit 3′ waves and up), off shores have been the only boards I’ve been able to keep running without them diving and spinning under water.

Al Case

Thanks for the reply, Wimwuen. What are your thoughts on the size of planer board to get? The bigger Opti tackle board is about the size of the Walleye Board (can’t remember which brand that was). The smaller board is bigger than the mini boards, but not quite as big as the Walleye Board.
    Thanks again!

Al Case

By the way, the Opti boards have flags and are very reasonably priced (if they work, lol). The bigger boards are on sale for $21 and the smaller ones are $19. The regular price is $5 to $10 higher. That’s why I’m considering those boards over the other higher priced brands. I do realize you get what you pay for (most of the time). But, these made locally, so maybe that’s the reason for the good price. But, I’m still open for suggestions and any info anyone has on them or other brands.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I use the 12″ boards, and make my own tattle flags for them (offshore). The one knock I have on the off shores is, you need to upgrade the clips. I actually upgraded all of mine to the snap down clips (expensive, but really nice). I had some that I just upgraded to the red clips (the ones they use for snap weights).

If the ones you’re looking at are more of the shape of the off-shores and have a decent clip set up,then they probably wouldn’t be a bad idea. I just went out and took a look, they appear to be the same style of board.

I’m not sure what I think of the front clip being so low on the board, but it may be ok.

I do like the rear pin on the church boards because you never have to worry about losing a board. Last thing you ever want to do is lose an upgraded board worth about $50.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I run the offshore boards. I will say that if you plan on hooking to a superbraid you will need to use a clip like the offshore snap clip.

Sure you can get by wrapping the line around the stock clip but its not worth the PITA. I am skeptical of those stock clips. However I even upgrade my clips on the offshore boards. I too make my own tattlers.

stevenoak

Do you make your own tattlers because of cost.Or do they work better than factory made ones.If better what do you do different?

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

I make my own tattle flags because of cost.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

All cost. I can make them for about $2 each, vs the $16-$18 for the name brand ones. I also make my own snap weights. $4 each for a snap weight clip can add up.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

So what springs are you using and where is the best place to get them. I plan on getting 2 more boards. Also you can get the offshore boards for $22 or less online.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I think they’re C73’s. Then all you need is some wire, a plastic washer and a bead.

Best price I’ve seen for Off Shore OR12’s lately has been at Fleet Farm for about $28.

Does this opti board come with a tattle system? If so, I’d consider buying one or two just to test out.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

So what springs are you using and where is the best place to get them. I plan on getting 2 more boards. Also you can get the offshore boards for $22 or less online.

Rubber bands work better than the springs as they allow infinite tension adjustments much quicker than the springs.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

I have not tried the new Opti Boards but I was looking at them the other day too. They are apparently lighter which is supposed to help them run smoother on the surface and the rubber coated front clamp is wider which was designed to help keep the line tension and cut down on it slipping. I would be open to try them based on their design but I already have enough boards.

I’ve used church walleye boards, off shore and yellow birds. They all have their pros and cons. My favorite is the walleye boards and I replace the front clamp with an OR-18 adjustable release. The reason I like the walleye boards is because it has an adjustable keel weight which helps tune the angle of the board. This comes into play when you are trolling multiple boards with different lure weights. I also like the spring loaded pin in back – very easy and quick to put on and take off. I’ve never had an issue of the board diving on me. One little tip is when you reel your planer board in, point your rod tip right on top of the water. This will cause your board to turn more upside down and then you can skim it across the water. Once the board gets close, pull it out of the water and make sure it doesn’t go back in. This is where I’ve seen a lot of boards dive. I’ve never used the tattle flags but I can see where they would come in good use – detecting debris on your line or a small fish. After watching a board do nothing over hundreds and hundreds of hours, you get to know what to look for.

Anyone tried the new sidewinder planer board? http://www.swboards.com/

Al Case

Yes, Wimwuen. The Opti’s do come with tattle flags.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.