Finally the fishing bug hits -Proud Dad and Grampa

• diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

We made our annual trip to Grammy and Grampy’s place for the Memorial Day weekend family gathering. A little short on kids this time as they are finishing high school, working, or in college. However the latest batch of grandkids made the Grandparent’s weekend a blast. Not to mention made dad darn proud.

My son really took to fishing this spring. Man I have been waiting for this. Me, being a fishing junkie that does not get to go anywhere near as I used to, have been patiently asking every now and then if he wanted to go with me.

Well this spring we moved to a new house with a pond within a two block walking distance and he asks after school on day “Dad can we go fishing in the pond?” I think I cried a little bit .

Since then his Spiderman pole has gotten a workout and he is a casting machine.

At the grand parents pond he wanted to bring the crawlers HE picked up at Fleet Farm (yes he even checked them out ). I told him is doing so well he could even try a lure if he wanted. Big mistake

So the short of the story is I put on a plastic worm for him and Grandpa’s pond didn’t know what hit it. Darn kid luck!!!

He catches a 16inch large mouth (the only one of course and biggest of the family tournament due to a winterkill three years ago). Two nice 20 inch channels and many other largemouth. He was quite proud of himself and telling fishing stories at the meals but I don’t know if Grandpa or I was prouder.

Just thought I would share this as I have been waiting a long time for the bug to hit him like it did me many many years ago. I see so many posts of moms, dad, and kids fishing together. You can only smile.

Here are some of the pics taken with the family. Dad and Grandpa smiling bigger than my son

I am now waiting for him to tell me he needs a new fishing pole ( or at least that is what I will tell my wife)

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Great story, thanks for sharing.

thegun
    mn

Sounds like a great weekend with the family.. there simply isn’t anything better in life than getting your kids hooked on the same things you love to do…

chirp
    Rochester

Nice job Dad. Sounds like you got him hooked.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

My son calls my mom grammy too

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Looks like a blast, great job!

lhprop1
    Eagan

Congrats, Diesel. That’s a proud moment, indeed. I can’t wait until my little guy gets the bug. He’s only 8 months right now, but the sooner he gets hooked, the sooner it will be both of us bugging mom to go fishing. 2x the annoying men bugging her, the more likely she’ll be to kick us out of the house to go fishing.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

My son calls my mom grammy too

That’s what my mom wanted my son to call her. She tried so hard. . .

Sadly, it comes out as “Gamey”. Which is not really what she wanted because it reminds her of my father’s old bowling team member Gamey Grawinski. Ol’ Gamey was so named because he liked onion, garlic, and spicy pork sausage, none of which liked him in return.

She’ll need to learn to love it.

Grouse

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.