Another towing question

• Wadsworth

OK, I’ve been looking at a full size Dodge PU with a 318, anybody tow with one? I know the 360 would be better, but I’m looking for a used truck, so I have to take what I can find.

Jira

My dad and I both have dodges. He’s got the 318, I’ve got the 360. They are both 1999’s. They get the same gas mileage towing or not and aside from a small 360 tourqe difference (noticed off the line with large loads) they seem about the same.

We both have 17 footers and I wouldn’t call either a large load. Personally, I’de look for the best deal. If they were identical I’d pick the 360 but I wouldn’t shy from the 318.

I’ve only had a front drive shaft go (they are unlubricated cvx joints) but I run synthentic in the drivetrain as I’m a little gunshy from stories I’ve heard. Nice thing is until now they have only been stories for both my dad and I.

Hope that helps,

jj

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Almost all the nightmare stories I’ve heard about Dodge pickups revolve around the auto trans. One friend of mine replaced three trannies and a tranfer case, another went through 3 transmissions in his first 50,000 miles (towing a travel trailer), and the third had his poop out last winter.

The 318 is as solid a motor as exists in a light truck anymore. It’s been around forever, and I know literally dozens of people who’ve had them in trucks, cruisers, street rods, musclecars, you name it.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Wadsworth,
    have you owned a Dodge before, I have a friend who had one and he could not stand the ride on it, in his own words

Quote:

It rode like a lumber wagon

It was so bad it actually gave him back problems. He traded it in on a new Chevy and is very happy now.

laxpatrick
    La Crosse

If there’s any way you could find one with the Cummins that’d be the way to go. Those engines last forever. I pull with a new 2500 and it’s like there’s no boat back there. I get 21+mpg on the highway without the boat or horseys out back.

The transmissions they’ve used over the years have been pretty standard fare.

The rough ride in a 4×4 is usually due to the solid front axle. Live axles ride rough but are arguably more serviceable (and infinitely more desirable for offroad, but that’s not important here).

I got hooked on Dodge trucks running them on the fire department and mainly like them for the Cummins.

You’ll be more than fine pulling it with a 318. There’s a reason why that’s been a great engine for a lot of applications (jeep grands, others).

LAXPatrick

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Not sure if Stewart checks this forum or how often so I’ll do the “my buddy had one thing” and hope I live to tell about it.

Dustin was going through a transmission a year for the first couple years on a new Ram with the 360. And the gas mileage was simply rediculous. He still talks fondly of the power the motor had and of course they’re mighty easy on the eyes for a truck. His transmission problems have gone away now though.

He sold it.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Buddy of my brother works for large company. A few years back, they got a fleet of Dodge trucks for the the employees to drive for service calls. There were 50 pick-ups. Not one made it over 60,000 miles before having the transmission replaced.

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

Alot of the late 90s Dodge 4×4 pickups had problems with Front wheel bearing hub assemblies and ball joints. The newer Dodge 4×4 have problems with track bars. Trannys, like the other guys say, have been a bad problem for Dodge. They are nice looking trucks and the interiors are put together very well. They just have alot of suspension and tranny problems.

Ducks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.