Church tackle planer boards question.

• Husker26
    Gretna, NE

I just picked up two of the walleye boards from Church tackle. This is the first time I’ve tried planers. I took them out last night for the first time and I’m curious about the speeds you have to run. I was running a #5 flicker shad and had it about 35-40 ft behind the boat, attached a planer board (with tattle flag) I noticed that it would have a tough time running unless I was trolling at around 2.9-3.3 mph. If I went any slower than that, it would just start to slowly nose down and then back up over and over. I guess I’m wondering what this will do if I try to run a spinner rig at 1.2-1.5 mph??? Do I need to adjust the weight on the bottom of the board if I go slower?
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

The weight on the bottom appears as if it needs to be moved to correct the trim of the board. For Church Tackle boards the rule of thumb is the rougher the water, the farther back the weight needs to be moved. Conversely, the harder pulling or heavier the bait, the weight needs to be moved forward to correct the trim.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.