Mixing Octanes

• 85lund
    Menomonie, WI

So After reading the fuel additives post I looked at the non ethanol stations near me. Fleet Farm has both 89 and 92 octane non ethanol fuel. Say I filled the boat up with 89 and then fished away from home and needed to fill up, but all I could find was 91 non ethanol gas. Will mixing the higher octane gas with the lower octane gas hurt anything or will it just become one big mix of with an average octane around 90?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Big mix with avg. I wouldn’t worry about it for a second.

red89
    Hudson

I haven’t read that post yet, but I have been running strictly non-ethanol gas in my motor for the past couple years, and I don’t worry about mixing octanes.

I always wonder if it truly does not have any ethanol in it though.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Where you buying non-ethanol gas? I thought in the spring they had to add 10% or something by law here at all gas stations? Or should I say required to purchased gas refined with at least 10% ethanol.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Where you buying non-ethanol gas? I thought in the spring they had to add 10% or something by law here at all gas stations? Or should I say required to purchased gas refined with at least 10% ethanol.

Towards the bottom of the thread below is a link to a stie that lists the non eth stations in your area

thread

BBKK
    IA

I always fill up with 87 or 89, whichever is available. I used to run 90-92 but my boat likes the lower stuff better. Runs a lot cleaner and I get better mileage.

From what I understand, the older 2 strokes like the lower stuff, and the newer 4 strokes and 2 strokes are built for high octane.

My motor is a 97 merc 115 2 stroke, the big black one not the inline 6.

I’m pretty sure by law they can claim gas with up to 7% ethanol as “ethanol free”. They wanted to move it to 10% but I think it got voted down.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Towards the bottom of the thread below is a link to a stie that lists the non eth stations in your area

thread

Ha, just read that. Guess what. I have been ethanol free for years now according to that chart.

John Peterson
    Woodbury, Minnesota

Quote:

Wisconin laws regarding the sale of non-ethanol are different than MN. Year round I buy 89 Non-Ethanol @ Fleet Farm in Hudson, WI for my boat, lawn mower, snowblower, etc.

herb
    6ft under

In Iowa, most all stations with 87, 89, and 91 octane, the pump with 89 will be a 10% ethanol blend. It’s ussually a dime cheaper and listed as super unleaded.
    Also, in Iowa, if any pump has LESS than a 10% blend, it does not have to be listed on the pump as a blend. Thus allowing the blenders to get rid of excess ethanol to unsuspecting fuel customers. I was told this a long time ago and haven’t seen or read anything to prove or disprove it. The only way I know to find out for sure would be to use a test kit for ethanol detection. That is if you’re willing to tie up a set of pumps on any given day at your local station in order to test for ethanol.

jon_wbl

I dont think the list of stations that sell non-oxy premium is up to date. Neither of the stations closest to me that have it are on the list. One has had it for 2 yrs and the other just started selling it a month ago.

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

You can go in and add there station to the list.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.