Garden Tiller

• huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Going to be purchasing a tiller this spring. Anybody have any good, or bad experiences to share. Have only looked at the Troy Bilt and Husqvarna rear tine’s so far.

Thanks

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’m not a good judge, but a rear tine would be a must have! I don’t know anymore how the Troy Built stands, I would think it would edge out the Husqvarna.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Troy bilt continues to hold it’s reputation over huskies, but both are good machines. haven’t run a hand machine myself for a number of years, but my friends keep me filled in. putting in 48 double hills of tomatoes this season…

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I wouldn’t touch a front-tine. Those things suck. Rear-tine is way nicer. I have used Husky and Honda. Both are nice, but the Husky is a little easier on the pocket book.

stevenoak

If you want a front tine and buy one to last a lifetime.Honda.Bought one several years ago with a buddies discount thru a landscape co.It’s what a lot of pros use.Have had mine over 15 years with no signs of wear.But think they were over $500 then.Had a Troy Built rear tine before.Good for bigger areas or tilling down rows.Not good for tilling around stuff.The new ones are not built as good as the older models,but still better than most.If you go with a rear tine you can pick up a Mantis for the delicate stuff.Anything under a 1000 square ft I would go front tine.Nice for going around caged plants.Outer tines remove to allow going between plant a foot apart.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

If you have a smaller garden bed or one that is established, that Honda or a front tine is fine. Those Hondas do anthing. If you are breaking ground, get the Troybuilt.

If things are close quartered, those rear tined tillers can be a hassel becauise of their extra length….turning and getting close to the end of a row that ends near a wall, etc.

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

I have one with the tines in the front. Most of the time I end up pulling it backwards. Rear tines all day…

Art

I put almost an acre garden ever year. Have had the same Troy Built for over 20 years and it still runs like a dream. Would do some serious checking on the new ones. Troy Built is no longer a family run operation and I have been hearing some real nasty reports on the newer models.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

ditto art.
    i do 3/4A and this is what i’m told.
    have not been able to determine if the complaints are whinning or not, but art’s report is to be believed.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

For a small garden a front-tine machine is the way to go IMO.
    I have an old wards 5 hp that runs great and does what it needs to do.
    The rear-tines are nice for larger gardens and you cant go wrong with a Troybuilt. The Honda works great until the trany cracks, their notorious for that. Not Familiar with the Husqy.
    If you have nasty clay, sod, root, rock and whatever have you soil the HOWARD is the way to go. An 8ft 18hp rear-tine orange beast that you have to kick start(non of that whimpy pull starting) to get it running and sounds like a Harley being bogged down in a swamp.
    Get the Howard and you can convert your drive way into a garden. Watch out you hit a big root your going for a ride or should I say being dragged until it occurs to you to just let it go.

115Opti
    Phillips, WI

I have a Stihl front tine that is well over 30 years old and it is still going strong. You can’t beat the front tine for getting close to fences and also plants.

stevenoak

Was at Farm and Fleet today saw the $750 Troy Built rear tine they sell today.If you decide on Troy Built I would find one 20 years old and have someone rehab it if needed.Not even in the ball park of older unit.Don’t even identify motor manufacturer.

schreinersshop
    Alma Wi

I bought an Earthquake rear tine from fleet farm in 92 and its still running great with no repairs other than general maintenence. I think they still carry them

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I had my rear tine wards machine (bought at auction for $25 10 years ago) throw a rod, went and rented the Earthquake front tine from the hardware store. In my situation I’d go with the Earthquake, it worked wonderful. I have a corner garden with a fence, established strawberry patch and a large raspberry patch to look out for.

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Still Have NOT made the purchase yet. Been lookng at the Earthquake, they don’t even have the engine manufacturers name on it. Makes me nervous. Finally saw 1 that has a Viper engine??? Looks like it is made by Briggs N Straton. Haven’t heard good things about them lately either. Are we now buying “throw away” tillers?? What happened to the good ole machines that don’t die!!! Yeah, I already know. If they don’t break, how do they sell more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.