I wanna switch it up for a day

• rdwheeler
    Hudson WI

So I have been fishing pool 2 for the last week +. And I drive over the Croix on my way to Lilydale everyday… Soooooo I think I’m gonna bust out my BIG gear and I wanna go get some big old cats! Any suggestions? I wanna go tomorrow and will be launching under 94, and need some ideas; Rigs, depth, bait, Usually I night fish these with a few drinks in the heat of summer… Anything helps guys! Thanks in advance!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

My first thought is that I think it is a little too early to be thinking about big cats yet.
    The temps are probably at best low 40’s, and cats are barly out of their wintering holes.
    Hopely one of the Cat Guru’s will pipe in.
    Good Luck
    Jack

rdwheeler
    Hudson WI

That was what I was thinking at first, but then I was looking at the “specific species” board and there is a decent 2012 cats thread going, and I saw some through the ice cats… Hopefully I can snag something big and ugly

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We caught some channels on Sunday. Although there aren’t many areas on the St. Croix to replicate the same pattern we were fishing. I’d look at protective coves and maybe creek mouths. If you can find any wood in those areas, even better.

We caught ours fairly shallow in about the 6-10′ range.

rdwheeler
    Hudson WI

Awesome! I will give that a try! Cut bait? Worms?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

How do you drive over the Croix going from Woodbury to Lilydale?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We used shad, so I would either thread 3-4 fatheads on a hook or use cut sucker. This time of year is you use crawlers you’ll get a bunch of little fish pecking at it.

rdwheeler
    Hudson WI

Quote:

How do you drive over the Croix going from Woodbury to Lilydale?

You never go that way??? Just kidding, I actually live in a townhome in Woodbury and have a warehouse space in Hudson with all my toys, so i have to go get my boat each day I go out… Kinda sucks!

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I figured it was something like that.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

mplspug,

Quote:

We used shad

Can I ask where you are getting your shad? I haven’t been able to find any places that sell frozen shad in a couple of years.

Thanks,

Boone

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

mplspug,

Quote:

We used shad

Can I ask where you are getting your shad? I haven’t been able to find any places that sell frozen shad in a couple of years.

Thanks,

Boone

You can ask, but I won’t tell when it takes me an hour or so on a good day to fill a sandwich bag.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Quote:

You can ask, but I won’t tell when it takes me an hour or so on a good day to fill a sandwich bag.

I thought you might be purchasing them from a local bait shop. I wasn’t looking for a spot to go catch my own.

Thanks,

Boone

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Oh…um…I don’t buy them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.