Help needed for 1st time carp smoker

• JimmyClark
    Eagle Point Wi. USA

My kid has been bitten by the urge to smoke carp this upcoming season. He understands that the skin needs to stay on the fillet, but is wondering if that includes the scales too?

buck-slayer

Yes keep scales on that will help from the filet sticking to grill.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

brine, smoke.
    leave skin on
    will help with hooking filets if you want to HANG them also.

andyboo
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

I sold smokers at Cabelas. Its my opinion if you are going to smoke fish you should have 2 smokers one for fish and one for other meats. Once you smoke fish in a smoker its my opinion you will never get rid of the smell so that means your turkey or ribs or whatever will smell like that carp. Do you really want that? Good Luck!

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Do you scrub the outside of the fish with a brush and cold water to clean it up before smoking or what do you do?

herb
    6ft under

We’ve never had any trouble like that with any of our smokers.

herb
    6ft under

Cut the head off, split down the back, open the carcass and remove guts, finish cleaning the body cavity with a brush if you like. hose down the outside and body cavity before putting it in the brine. Hose down again after removal from the brine.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

We’ve never had any trouble like that with any of our smokers.

Me either

buck-slayer

Quote:

Do you scrub the outside of the fish with a brush and cold water to clean it up before smoking or what do you do?

Tullibee’s have a film in the rib area so I take a toothbrush (wife’s) and scrub that out. Haven’t had to scrub any other fish. Rinse off good after cleaning you should be good.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Quote:

I sold smokers at Cabelas. Its my opinion if you are going to smoke fish you should have 2 smokers one for fish and one for other meats. Once you smoke fish in a smoker its my opinion you will never get rid of the smell so that means your turkey or ribs or whatever will smell like that carp. Do you really want that? Good Luck!

Sounds like a good sales pitch to sell twice as many smokers. haha, I cannot comment I have never used one.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.