any Honda Techs?

• phishirman
    Madison, WI

Wife has an 02 Civic that makes a loud whine in reverse. Almost like a an extremely loud power steering pump whine. Been searching the powers of google with no luck. Seems to be a common problem with lots of posts but no replies. This isn’t your standard reverse whine due to the helical gears nor is it the metal tabs on brakes. She also just had her timing belt and water pump changed. Any ideas? ohh and now she just called me this morning complaining of a muffled jackhammer sound at highway speeds. that doesn’t sound good.

thanks for any and all help!

gregstew
    Red Wing, MN

First thing I would try is a complete tranny fluid flush & filter change…..Take it in to a shop that has the right pumps for this…(I have always heard when you do it yourself you only get about 1/2 the fluid….True???)

phishirman
    Madison, WI

that was one of the suggestions that I found online. She’s got a little over 100K on the car and has gotten all of the scheduled maintenance done at the dealership. I’ll check to make sure that was done. and if not recently, we’ll get it done again. The reverse noise sounds like it’s power something with no increase in pitch or noise the faster the car goes in reverse.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Is it an auto or a stick?

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Have it hooked up and check the torque converter and transmission oil pump. Check to make sure the transmission filter isn’t plugged too.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

thanks for the input…sounds like we just need to bring it in and get it checked out.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

First thing I would do is take it for a drive myself if you haven`t already. Listening to the other half sometimes is not the correct thing to do. Way to many times I have heard of complaints from the other half which were nothing.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

I have. and I’m pretty good with fixing stuff and have enough tools to be considered dangerous, but the noise coming from the car when backing out of the garage on occasion has me baffled. I hear ya though… She thought her car was going to explode in flames when the heat shield started rattling.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.