Camping Ideas for my Family, Any Suggestions

• lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

The kids are old enough now and now is the time to do some tent camping as a family. I have a 6 and 3 year old.

Here are some of my ideas. I have sold my boat, so fishing is not a priority, but might be a nice outlet during an outing. I would not rule out a mom and pop campground/resort that rents fishing boats. Possibility of some shore fishing is intriguing. I like the idea of getting the kids into the woods. We live in a new suburban development, our trees are 2.5″ in diameter. They love the outdoors, the idea of them doing some outdoors exploration is my goal.

Plan on making a few long weekend trips this season, maybe a mixture of state ran and private operations. Looking to find out what we might enjoy the most as a family. In my mind I am thinking private/semi private camping would be preferable. A wooded setting is also appealing, but not necessary. We also love scenic views and walks.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Jason

glenn57
    cold spring mn

itasca state park…………..state park by bigfork mn??? not sure the name and the state park over by new london spicer on lake andrew.

bbaune

There are a lot of options in SE MN between Lanesboro and the Whitewater valley. Scenic, nice campgrounds, stream fishing for trout and smallmouth bass and lots of walking/hiking/biking trails. You can even take the kids conoeing and it’s not too far from home.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Teteguchi State park up the North shore. Great trails and overlooks.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

have sold my boat, so fishing is not a priority,

I’m sorry, I don’t understand those words.

I would go on-line to the MN DNR website and check out the state camp grounds. Lots of good options on there.

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Quote:

Quote:

have sold my boat, so fishing is not a priority,

I’m sorry, I don’t understand those words.

I would go on-line to the MN DNR website and check out the state camp grounds. Lots of good options on there.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_forests/map.html

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/standard_camping_rates.html

Good call on the DNR website, unbelievable amounts of info. I also like to hear personal experiences.

About the boat, I learned real quick with a young family that priorities change in a hurry. Dads sometimes have to make sacrifices.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Thank god Nicole told me that selling the boat is NEVER an option. “We are boat people.” she tells me.

Honestly I’m not much of a state campground guy. But they are nice for families as they are modern and have lots of amenities. I’ve done it (state camp ground) twice in my life, just to many people and most of them are wanna-be campers. Just an FYI.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

itasca state park…………..state park by bigfork mn??? not sure the name and the state park over by new london spicer on lake andrew.

Sibley Good call

deertracker

We stay at the municipal camp ground in Grand Marais every year. A very fun area and only a short walk from downtown.
    DT

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Quote:

We stay at the municipal camp ground in Grand Marais every year. A very fun area and only a short walk from downtown.
    DT

Stayed there in the summer of 2010. My parents pulled a camper from northern Indiana through the U.P. of Michigan to Duluth. Good experience and a fun little downtown for sure. Trying to stay off the beaten path a little bit more this time around. Nothing remote though.

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Sibley Good call

I am near Waconia, this would be a nice convenient location, especially last minute. Looks like a BIG park with a lot of options for activities.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

You could stay at Father Hennepin or Kathio state parks on Mille Lacs. Plenty to do in the summer. Then hit a resort for a 4-6 hour launch cruise on the lake. Would be a fun weekend just 1.5 hr drive from the cities.

-J.

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Quote:

You could stay at Father Hennepin or Kathio state parks on Mille Lacs. Plenty to do in the summer. Then hit a resort for a 4-6 hour launch cruise on the lake. Would be a fun weekend just 1.5 hr drive from the cities.

-J.

Jon we have stayed at Father Hennepin State Park. Very enjoyable experiences there. We do enjoy that park. Last time we were there are daughter was very little, might be time to swing back into there. I remember laying in the tent hearing the waves crashing on the rocks and hearing the wind blowing through the tree tops. That was nice. Didn’t do the launch thing though, that would be a fun first.

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

How about a BWCA wilderness motorized trip, Trout Lake as an example. Reserve an entry permit. Rent a boat at Mocosin Point Resort on Lake Vermillion, pile your gear in it, motor to the portage, get hauled across and then motor to a remote campsite. No loud music from the teens in the next campsite, no obnoxious drunk yelling at his kids etc. The motor allows for some nice creature comforts not practicle for the canoeist. Screen porch, lawn chairs, coolers full of ice, soda, cots etc. I’ll mark your map with the good campsites and fishing spot.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Split Rock Lighthouse State Park! The sites are “cart-in”, so you park, load things into a cart, and walk a bit ( < 1/4 mile) to your site. The sites are secluded for the most part, and the views are great.

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

The state parks up and down the MN WI border are excellent with some privacy between sites and lots of fishing and hiking/ biking opportunities!

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Quote:

How about a BWCA wilderness motorized trip, Trout Lake as an example. Reserve an entry permit. Rent a boat at Mocosin Point Resort on Lake Vermillion, pile your gear in it, motor to the portage, get hauled across and then motor to a remote campsite. No loud music from the teens in the next campsite, no obnoxious drunk yelling at his kids etc. The motor allows for some nice creature comforts not practicle for the canoeist. Screen porch, lawn chairs, coolers full of ice, soda, cots etc. I’ll mark your map with the good campsites and fishing spot.

Very intrigued by your option Don! I was fortunate to go to Lake Namakan with a friend in 2005 and 2010. That was heaven on earth. This looks like it would have a similar feel, not quite as remote, little smaller scale. Having a boat/motor and conveniences would be nice also with the family.

deertracker

Quote:

Split Rock Lighthouse State Park! The sites are “cart-in”, so you park, load things into a cart, and walk a bit ( < 1/4 mile) to your site. The sites are secluded for the most part, and the views are great.

Just watch what site you take. Some of the sites on the end have like a million stairs to go up or down. My wife and I biked our stuff in had had to bring everything up and down those stairs.
    DT

chomps
    Sioux City IA

South Isle Family Campground

We have been going here for at least 15 years once a summer. Kids have plenty to do at the campground to keep them busy. Pool, Wally’s train ride, paddleboats, frisbee golf, hiking trails, biking trails. As JJ said take a early dinner at a resort and go on a couple hour evening cruise.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

haven’t been there for a while but when our kids where younger went to Bear Head State park and always had a great time. Not to busy,swimming beach,shore fishing and clean facilities. Take day trips into the boundary waters and it is not to far a canoe ride to see pictographs.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Just watch what site you take. Some of the sites on the end have like a million stairs to go up or down. My wife and I biked our stuff in had had to bring everything up and down those stairs.
    DT

Those must have been the “hike in” sites, not the “cart in”. I can’t recall stairs for any “cart ins”, but I know the stairs you are talking about!

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Lake Vermilion also has some nice camp grounds on islands. When I was your kid’s age, my father would take us up and we could run around like crazy (it is an island, so no worries about getting lost or in trouble). The novelty of being stuck on an island doesnt wear off for several days.

Rent a boat from numerous resorts, free camping and good shore fishing for eyes and smallies.

Tucker02
    Mn

Check out bear head state park up by Ely. Probably the prettiest state park in Mn. They have canoes you can rent.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Come up to the Ash River Trail. There is a small state campground there across the street from the river. Nothing special but never real busy (except holiday weekends)Dock or shore fishing would only be 20 yards away. Little traffic, just for the resorts. VNP is right there for hiking. The park service also runs a tour boat up to Kettle Falls. Nice way to kill a afternoon. Only 30 minutes from I-Falls if you forget something. I think they have a donation can or something there. It might even be free. Anyway it’s a option.

If you want to camp on a island let me know. If we can coordinate things I would run you and the family out to a island by boat and then pick you up. I don’t know if the kids are to young for that or not.

If the area interests you shoot me a pm. I have a seasonal there and go up often.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

x3 on Itasca State Park. They have very nice camping, which is not to rough for your kids first time out, and tons of stuff to do. They have rentals for bikes, boats, canoes and much more. They have tons of hiking and many lakes to explore by foot. I live about 20 miles from there and we never get up there enough. I love the park in the fall. Great fishing also!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.