Treasure Island Accident

• sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I heard that some sort of accident happened at the nuclear plant by Red Wing.

I am sure that more will come out as the news crews get there. Some schools closed and Xcel is telling locals to stay inside. Never good news.

Stay safe guys

Ron

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Channel five is reporting a chlorine bleach leak.

Channel 5

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

River Falls is way too close.

If you hear anything more Ron…POST please!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

They are reporting no Radiation, just a leak.

Xcel Energy confirms that operators at Prairie Island Nuclear Generating Plant declared an alert at 3:53 a.m. Thursday after workers discovered sodium hypochloride, commonly known as chlorine bleach, leaking from a tank in the screen house. The chemical is used to treat water that is brought into the plant for cooling.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

They are reporting no Radiation

Hopefully they are monitoring that…today!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Keep it out of the water. I don’t like eating whitefish.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

It is a contained chlorine leak. Prescott schools were at first closed than they changed to 2 hrs late. It appears to be under control.

dd

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

It is a contained chlorine leak. Prescott schools were at first closed than they changed to 2 hrs late. It appears to be under control.

dd

At the risk of starting an anti nuke rant…which I’m not.

It does put a question in my mind as to why they would originally close the schools, but not notify locals?

My co worker lives between Prescott and Hager City and knew nothing of this.

If it was important enough to close schools, wouldn’t it be important enough to notify the public earlier then 3 hours after it happened??

Just wondering out loud.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Quote:

Keep it out of the water. I don’t like eating whitefish.

Love what you did there, very nice!!!

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

They had a Homeland security official on FOX9. Prescot/Ellsworth School district were the ones that told everyone to stay indoors and closed then delayed schools. The official report that there was no danger. Prairie Island reported the leak as they should. The schools did this on their own. No other districts or municipalities overreacted. Although its better to be safe than sorry.

Mwal

glenn57
    cold spring mn

blown WAY out of porportion!!!!!!!!!!! bleach was spilled is all!! our field guys work that plant and we had no calls for guys to repair anything. in case your wondering i work for the boilermakers union that work these power plant outages and rebuilds!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That’s too bad. Now if there were a real emergency many would hesitate.

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

They did what they were supposed to with the notification process! We get bulletins from the scholl and they reported all good and it was contained! Just doing what they need to. Good job to those involved. Media you got to love them!

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Quote:

blown WAY out of porportion!!!!!!!!!!! bleach was spilled is all!! our field guys work that plant and we had no calls for guys to repair anything. in case your wondering i work for the boilermakers union that work these power plant outages and rebuilds!

It’s the “Chicken Little–sky is falling” culture we have become.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

It was blown way out of proportion BUT I would rather have them report it ASAP then wait till there is radiation spewing out and not hear about it.
    Now as for the next Storm of the Century, the media can cut way back on how bad the weather is going to be three-five days from now. I am sick of hearing about how much we could get and then only receive less than an inch of slush.

Ron

glenn57
    cold spring mn

hows that different/ hey just kiddin, i get it!!! didnt hear that weare getting the storm of the century next week?????

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

The worst part of this is that I missed my opportunity to call in and take the day off cuz of it. I could be fishing Pool 4 right now.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.