Viet Nam in HD…

• jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

anyone check it out last night on the History channel?

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I caught bits and pieces of it. Very interesting. I need to see when it will be on again and try to catch the whole thing.

I love the first hand accounts of what these kids went through and the horrible things they saw.

My hat is off to all Veterans, but especially Vietnam guys because of what they did, and how they were treated when they returned.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

I watched 2 hours,then hit the hay. How many hours is it in total Jeff? Nicely done.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Sounds like I need to DVR it. The Vietnam conflict fascinates me.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Episodes 2-3 and 4 tonight starting at 6. Powerful stuff!
    Agreed, hats off to all Vets who went through that and all American wars.
    They went on and revisited the taking of Hamburger Hill. Many died, more injured on the conquering of a hill that was abandoned after a few days. Not like Iwo Jima where a flag was raised but a burnt, scarred hill where our kids were left wondering about the cause.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Excellent show. Similar to the Afgan account in Restrepo with the stark realism. Although, this one made me uneasy and brought back made issues about that time period (I am not a vet) and the laid out some of the pure hell that so many of our guys went through.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Sounds like I need to DVR it. The Vietnam conflict fascinates me.

Only politicions called it a “conflict”.

Those who fought and were wounded or the families of those killed called it a war.

Hillbiehle

Members of my familiy were in Vietnam and due to not living in the times I don’t participate in the discussion but simply listen to the experiences. I just returned from the DC and spent the day with my Grandpa and other WWII veterans with Honor Flight. I spent the day going to the various war memorials and must say seeing those names on the Vietnam Wall made a deep impact on me. Very humbling. Last night I had trouble watching Vietnam HD as the visual of my family and all those names on the wall were still fresh in my head. My heart goes out to all veterans and I sincerely appreciate their service. Also fresh in my head, recently a Vietnam Vet told me when they returned to the states, “As we got off the plane we were ordered to not fight back at anyone that spit on us or we would be returned to Vietnam.” I simply don’t understand.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Back off. No need to jump on me. It was well before my time and what I learned in school.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

The Vietnam “conflict” and it was not offically declared a “war” was during my post high school years. Many of my friends served there and several are no longer with us. some died as a result of being shot, pungi sticks, or the dreaded “Agent Orange” Thanks to all of you and may the departed rest in peace…

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I set the DVR… started watching it while doing other work… no way. Turned it off, so I can get back and pay attention later. I quickly saw how little I knew about the time line and everything about it, and really want to see it all. I have no doubt I’ll walk away with a totally improved understanding after watching it…

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Quote:

Back off. No need to jump on me. It was well before my time and what I learned in school.

I apologize, I wasn’t jumping on you specificly. It’s just that term “conflict” that sets me off. It’s a very important and sad time in our history, I’m glad you have a interest in it. You will find that Vietnam was the most controversial war we have been in. So many lost……….

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

anyone check it out last night on the History channel?

I thought it was awesome. Excellent “First Person” descriptions of what it was like. History Channel puts out some very good shows!

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

It’s HARD for me to watch anything regarding VietNam,

58,000 plus DEAD, so many of my friends and ALL my brothers.

R.I.P.

U.S.M.C. 67-71

chomps
    Sioux City IA

watched the last hour, it was great. My old hockey coach was part of Hamburger Hill, some of the stories he spoke about still are vivid.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I hear you. The only time(s) I ever saw my grandfather cry was when he heard taps being played.

dtmg
    Princeton

I’m glad that they air programs of the war so that it will not be forgotten. I don’ watch them as I lived it.
    U.S.M.C. 1964-1968

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Watched the first episode tonight and set the DVR for the rest. I really enjoyed it. I read a lot about Vietnam in high school, but this is the first time I have seen footage like that. Very interesting! My wife’s dad spent time over there. I asked her what she knew, but she said he never talked about it, and he’s no longer with us.

Thank you immensely to those who served

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

I just finished reading a book about a marine sniper and his time in nam.

The book is well worth the time spenty reading and I could not believe what this one marine sniper did.

Marine Sniper
    93 confirmed kills.

Awesome read.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Shoot! I have been missing it. I am also fascinated by the Viet Nam war. I remember watching scenes from Viet Nam on the news every night. I remember the fall of Saigon and the boat people, refugee camps, and the killing fields in Cambodia.

The book by Stanley Karnow, “Viet Nam: A History”
    is fascinating reading which goes way back to the beginnings of Viet Nam and through the fall of Saigon. My girlfriend is Vietnamese and she and her family missed one of the last flights out in ’75 and did not make it out until ’94.

My hat is off to all Vets and especially the Viet Nam vets who fought in a war that was perplexing to say the least.

Joel

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Marine Sniper
    93 confirmed kills.

Agreed. It’s a good one.

nord

Great Show. That WAR/Conflict was all about body counts. I couldn’t help but shed some tears through some of it. Not good memories. Was proud to serve there with the 82nd Airborne- 68-69.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I have watched “The Beginnning”, “Search and Destroy”, “The Tet Offensive”, and “An Endless War” so far. The rest are awaiting me on my DVR. My wife is even enjoying it, and I didn’t think she would. It gives us a little glimpse of what her dad (and so many others) went through. She said that she once got a chance to listen to some of the audio tapes that her mom and dad exchanged–pretty neat history there!

I can only imagine how emotional the series is for those of you who lived it! I shed some tears, and Saigon fell 6 years before I was born.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Watching and listening to the stories of the guys coming home was almost more than I could take. The pride they had, and the horrible disrespect they were shown was unbelievable.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

The pride they had, and the horrible disrespect they were shown was unbelievable.

I agree. I’d heard stories, but hearing it straight from the mouths of those who lived it brought tears to my eyes.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

Watching and listening to the stories of the guys coming home was almost more than I could take. The pride they had, and the horrible disrespect they were shown was unbelievable.

The stat that blew me away was, that on average, 10 days of battle per year for WWII soldiers. Viet Nam soldiers….240 days seeing battle! Undoubtedly, alot of WWII vets saw alot more action than 10 days but that stat is mind blowing. How the @#&! did anyone get out of there alive! Thank you, THANK YOU to all Vetrans!!

Keith Fischer

Tried to watch, but it’s like ripping off an old scab. Never
    saw Nam but served in the Army 66-72. Lot of guy’s lost and
    lots were never the same again when they came home, especially
    after the reception we got, you never forget being called a
    baby killer. Still don’t know why were ever there.

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

Yes. Just got finished watching it… The Vietnamese….They couldnt tell who was on whose side.. Friend or foe. Villagers threatened if they gave out info…VERY GOOD ,VERY INFORMATIVE…Wil

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.