My Personal Best Catch

• illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

was tryin to jig up a few wally/saugs yesterday on the illinois river. we were drifting a break vertical jigging when smack, snap the wrist, dam, missed him.

sat down the pole in the right hand and turned to rebait the left-handed rod when i hear clunk/splash and see my legend extreme/president supreme xt combo slowly disappearing from sight.

lunged to the side of the boat and reached as far as i could into the water, but it was too late. SOB!!!

quickly kicked the trolling motor up a couple notches to hold my spot as a combination of panic and sickness set in.

looked in back of boat and had kelly pass me a dubuque rigged rod with a half ounce jig on the dropper as the wiseguy says “looks like we will be fishing here for a while.”

made a cast upstream and let the jig drift until it was almost straight out from the boat before starting to reel back slowly. felt a tug and kept up a steady retrieve and lo and behold a green/blue rod tip appears, then the entire combo is at the top of the water, kelly quickly grabs the rod handle and passes it up to me.

needless to say, it was my best catch ever.

after a few woo hoos, a tug and the jig came free from the snag.

spent the next couple hours fishing with one pole but soon went back to double fisted jiggin, but i think i will be more careful from now on.

stillwaiting
    rochester mn

very lucky . you should buy a powerball ticket the odds are about the same as snaging you rod .

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Nice recovery!! I’ve had to use the underwater camera to get back a buddies rod/reel lost in the same fashion.

kruger
    Metro,mn

Quote:

Must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

little-t
    Plymouth WI

Been der-dun dat!! Glad you got it back! The Holiday Inn Express?? Good one Brian!

esoxrox

We’ve all done it but now I keep two rod holders out in the front of the boat and place the rod in it as I reel a fish in on the other I may look like a monkey but I don’t ever wanna watch a legend swim again. Nice save!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.