Quit Fishing-Need Tomato Help

• Brian Lyons

Well I finally did it, I have given up fishing. I’m going to raise tomatoes as a hobby and hopefully sell a few too. My question for you gardeners is this,..What type of fall fertilizing should I be doing, I’ll be using the same plot several years in a row for tomatoes. Thanks for your help…..B

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I would till in some compost and 10-10-10 and add generous amounts of lime.
    If its a hobby and your going to use different varieties adding up to many plants Look into starting them from seed, it is easy and fun thing to do and you will save big over buying the plants + you can sell or give away the extra plants away..

You also can get a soil test done and that will tell you what you need. Soil test can be gotten at most garden centers done by the UofM.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Quote:

Well I finally did it, I have given up fishing. I’m going to raise tomatoes as a hobby and hopefully sell a few too. My question for you gardeners is this,..What type of fall fertilizing should I be doing, I’ll be using the same plot several years in a row for tomatoes. Thanks for your help…..B

Well, I go where you go. Should I bring a rake or a hoe?

scott-k
    Red Wing

Quit Fishing??????????????? Have you gone mad-cow disease crazy?

There’s no money in tomatoes…dig a pond and raise Asian carp instead.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Well…never mind.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

IdoTomatoing.com

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I just put a foot deep layer of composted horse manure on my garden and tossed some in the strawberry and raspberry beds too. Good stuff. Really high in nitrogen.

jason-pitts
    Des Moines, IA and Hager City, WI

Not sure about the horse manure but I know where there is a horse’s [censored].

desperado

don’t know much about horse manure either,
    but this entire post sounds like a buncha bu11s4it to me

handy

Try hydroponics. You can fish and garden at the same time.
    If not, fish make great fertilizer, so don’t be in a hurry to give up your fishing gear.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Best thing I’ve found for Tomatoes is COMPOSTED COW MANURE.

To prepare a bed, raise the area 1-ft.
    1) Leaves and Grass Clippings tilled into the Soil, start with 2″-3″ and till in until you are up 6″.
    2) 3″ Composted Cow Manure over the area and till it in.
    3) Add more good black dirt/Topsoil, Black Peat if you can get it. Till this in and add some lime.
    4) Water Thorooughly.
    5) Once all prepared, add 6″-12″ of leaves over the top to insulate somewhat and let nature work at composting/breaking down the leaves and other organics.

Make sure the manure has sat for at least 6-months so if you can get it now and till it in and mixed with Peat, Topsoil, Lime and Leaves/Grass it should be good for next spring.

Reason for Raising is to provide good drainage. I have a small area, so I have a 2×12 frame.

My tomato plants require heavy duty cages and end up being 5-7ft tall. I had 4-plants this year and got over 4-gallons buckets of tomatoes from these 4-plants (2-big beef and 2-big boy).

Good Luck, but you can still go fishing.

jsfishin
    Urbana, IA

I found the best fertilizer is, the stuff us fisherman use describing our catches!!

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

I know cow manure is great as it has alot of goodies in it.

The problem I had with it the one year I used it was I had a ton of weeds from the manure. Had to be a pile of weed seeds in the poop.

stuart
    Mn.

I bet you will be alot better at raising tomatoes than fishing!

Missed laughing with you this summer!

Brian Lyons

Quote:

I bet you will be alot better at raising tomatoes than fishing!

Hi Stuart. I sure hope your right! Fishing was never a natural fit for me, I hope tomatoes will be my niche. Check in next time you get down my way…………B

Brian Lyons

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge!! I have a question about manure, I don’t have a cow or a horse, I do have a dog. Is a dog a suitable substitute for a cow or horse?……….Thanks in advance……..B

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I do have a dog

Photo’s please.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Not a good idea, dog and cats carry organisms that can infect humans. For instance dogs can carry common large roundworm. The eggs from round worm get into your system the larvae can travel about anywhere in our system from the liver to the lungs.
    I dont even want to know what happens with cat scat

It is a good question, we dont know until we ask, right?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I didn’t know that!

What would be a recommended rate of application of dog manure?
    As application of 20 lb per 100 square feet would provide most of the N and P2O5 needed for a lawn and about half of that for gardens. Owing to the potential problems with parasites indicated above, however, the use of dog and cat manure on lawns and gardens is not recommended.

duckhuntrrus
    Lexington Ne

I plant my tomatoes on top of fish guts I put into the ground. They seem to produce really well each year. If you can find any sheep amnure or chicken crap, those would be your overall best fertilizers IMO.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

I know cow manure is great as it has alot of goodies in it.

The problem I had with it the one year I used it was I had a ton of weeds from the manure. Had to be a pile of weed seeds in the poop.

that is the reason to get manure that has sat for at least 6 months or longer. There will be a lot less weeds if it had sat over winter and started to compost.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Llama poop…….That’s all I’m say’in ….

Brian Lyons

Quote:

Quote:
    ——————————————————————————–

I do have a dog

——————————————————————————–

Photo’s please.

BK; I’m not sure why you want a picture of my dog. Are some breeds/sizes/colors better tomato producers than others? I certainly want to maximize yield! Giving up fishing has left me able to afford the best tomato dog on the market, so give me your suggestion!! Thanks……….B

stuart
    Mn.

Can’t beat BeeDoggie poop for growing tomatos.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Cow manure is best, but horse manure will work fine too. Horses tend to eat more weeds. At the same time Cows are raised for milk/beef, so farmers generally pay more attention to what they feed them. Horses are not raised for either, so they are not so worried about the byproduct of what they feed them. Horse manure can have more weed seed in them, but it all depends on the horse.

I have plenty of horse manure… bring a shovel and a truck/trailer… you can have all you want.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

Can’t beat BeeDoggie poop for growing tomatos.

Now there is a multipurpose tool a pollinator and a fertilizerer err err. Put some meat on the bone be a nice snack.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I have plenty of horse manure… bring a shovel and a truck/trailer… you can have all you want.

And if you want dog manure, I am your guy! Same rules as Dave.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5H5r4_CoJo

I can’t believe no one has addressed this yet, but since you’re giving up fishing, are you getting rid of your gear?

Brian Lyons

Quote:

can’t believe no one has addressed this yet, but since you’re giving up fishing, are you getting rid of your gear?

I never really had much equipment. I mostly borrowed from whoever I was fishing with. If your looking for something in particular just post it here, I might be able to find it for you. I’m considering working as a outdoor equipment broker during the tomato off season to help meet start up expenses……..Thanks.B

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.