Alabama Rig wins FLW

• bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Not sure if this has been posted. If not you have GOT to check it out. Incredible.

Paul Elias won the FLW tourney this last weekend on Gunthersville (sp?) with a near FLW record 100 pounds plus for 4 days using the new Alabama Rig http://www.thealabamarig.com See coverage at http://www.bassfan.com

Pretourney weights were supposed to be low. By the end of the tournament nearly the entire top 10 was using the rig and weighing big strings.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Would it be legal in Minnesota to use this if all but one of the baits had the hook cut off?

red89
    Hudson

I just watched the 15 minute reeltime report on flwoutdoors.com.
    Its pretty amazing, even guys who didn’t start throwing it until day 3 finished in the top 5. And they all are just blown away by how they caught fish on the rig.
    I’m not sure if its something that will work all over the country, and what other situations it will work in, but the guy who makes them better ramp up production in a hurry.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Those could take out more bass than a 30 pound flathead!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I am gonna make a 6 footer, with 28 lures on it… I will call mine the Bama Mama Jamma…. leave it up to someone from bama to come up with this “new” lure My god… what next… nets ??

hnd

how in the hell is that even legal. a crank has 2 trebles = 6 hooks, is that the idea. so here is this ridiculous rig with 6 hooks?

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Quote:

Would it be legal in Minnesota to use this if all but one of the baits had the hook cut off?

According to the site he says tournament guys in states where this isn’t legal that they rig up with multiple lures and only one lure having hooks so it still looks like it is a school of fish.
    So yup legal here

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Modified umbrella rig, been fishing them for years

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

My god… what next… nets ??

Funny. I was sort of thinking the first thing when I heard about this. Could you see someone trolling 100 lures behind a boat on one pole?

That being said, I would be interested in trying it here. If the fish get that aggressive, I assume they would keep hitting the baits on the retrieve and they’d eventually choose the one with the hook.

Baitfish and minnows rarely are found solo in nature, so the idea makes sense to me. I could see it succeeding when other lures failed to get noticed or tease the fish.

fishdale

Quote:

I am gonna make a 6 footer, with 28 lures on it… I will call mine the Bama Mama Jamma…. leave it up to someone from bama to come up with this “new” lure My god… what next… nets ??

+1 That is exactly what I was thinking.

hnd

just hook 5 rigs onto the one rig. 25 lureS!!!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Exactly! Hard to believe pro’s would be allowed to use this mini F’ing trawler. Gill nets might be the next big fad…

hanson

Wired2Fish had some pretty good commentary on this – pros, cons, legality around the country, tourney rules, etc, etc…

Honestly, I just thinking its flippin’ cool when some new technique hits the scene that dominates! I’m not a bass guy at all but this caught my interest. Ultimately thats the goal I think. Its generating a lot of buzz.

Similarly in the walleye world may be Parsons, Parsons, Kavajecz, and Kemos use of Spinnerbaits in the trees at FLW Oahe this summer. I was there… it generated A LOT of talk!

Innovation is good, tourney rules will adapt if necessary. Unfortunately for us Minnesotans, the Alabama Rig is just a dream.

hnd

per illinois dnr, its ok to use as long as only 2 of the jigs of the 5 have hooks. so you just have to hope that it hits one with a hook.

140-zuki
    Cokato, MN

Trail the one or two with hooks behind the rest and maybe they look like an easier meal. There’s always a couple slow ones in a school isn’t there?.

iceman35
    upstate New York

I find this all pretty interesting. got drunk sunday and almost ordered a few. Interesting to me. alot of thought when in to this. wire gauge, length, hardware etc. I don’t think the body is lead, might even be wood. plastic??
    Guy came up with this in the USA. Makes them. sells them. good story. I hope he gets his $$ before the Strike king chinese knock offs show up in say about… 5 weeks…
    finally a use for those discount bin storm swimbaits nobody bought!

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Leave it to bass fisherman

As if that wasn’t easy enough.. sheesh

Tom S
    Woodbury MN

Tie 5 Rapala’s on that rig, then “snag” it…….

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

This rig seems to be a take off of a umbrella rig that we use trolling for stripers.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Fishing is getting complicated.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I hate climber stands….

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

Fishing is getting complicated.

This looks like Lake City in the evenings about now.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.