ANY MECHANICS???

• Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

Hello –

So I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 truck that won’t start/turnover/or do anything. At first I thought it was a battery but replaced the battery this morning and still nothing. Turn the key and no clicking noise or anything. Headlights and gauges come on but that’s it. I was thinking it might be the starter but wouldn’t it still make a clicking noise? Any help would be great but guessing I might have to pay the money to get it towed?!!! Thanks!

Chad

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Did you check all the fuses that seem relevant? And the ones that seem irrelevant, but are named so cryptically that they could do anything?

The trailer running lights on my Olds Bravada (not the turn sigs or the brake lights, just the running lights) are on their own fuse. Logically named TRARL in the maual.

Don’t ask me how many freaking hours of pure frustration it took me to fugure that out. Not that I’m bitter about it.

Grouse

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Double and triple check the the truck is in park. Turn the the key while wiggling the shift lever and see if that helps. If that doesnt do it, it could be a number of things. Could possibly be a bad ignition switch or numerous other computer related parts.

mb376
    Lincoln, Nebraska

Not a mechanic, but I have had starters go out. It could be the other things mentioned, but I would still bet on a starter. I have been exactly in your shoes, no clicking or anything. Seemed like battery but wasn’t, replaced starter and vroom.

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

Hold your key on and move shifter from park to neutral and back a few times. If not that, take a test light hold it on small wire on starter and have someone try and start truck. If that wire has power then you have bad starter.

blackbay

Do cars still use a fuseable link or am I showing my age? The ones I remember aren’t in the fuse block and look much different from a regular fuse or relay.

dan stien
    Waunakee, Wisconsin

I would bet on the starter also, this is not a fix but may get it to start so you can get it to a garage. You can take a hammer or heavy wrench and tap on the starter a few times and then try to start it. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. Good Luck

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.