? for u mechanics out there

• craighaz
    altoona,wi

I have a 1996 dodge caravan with the 3.3 its idleing high and i got a code of p0505 i was told to replace the iac motor. i replaced it today and it is still ideling high.any one have a good idea what it would be? thanks for the help

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

make sure the code has totaly cleared. If you have the more expensive code reader it will be able to reset the code and computer. Otherwise unhook the battery for about 10 minutes and it should clear the codes out. It may take a little driving for the computer to re-adjust to everything.
    I would try that first and see what happens

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

There is a chance the computer in the vehicle needs to be re-programmed and/or the idle relearned. I know Nissan and Chevy are like this. 1996 seems like it may be a bit old to have to do that though. You may have another issue to, a lot of time the computer/code aren’t the exact problem, there is an underlying issue that is causing that code to set.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Big G is a Service Manager at McKays in St. Cloud. He will no doubt know.

troy-starch
    stoddard wi

you might have a vacume leak check all the vacume lines.

tomhopkins
    waconia, mn

High idle means too much air. Either the iac is not learned or you have a vacuum leak. Spray the intake with brake cleaner upper and lower and see if the idle changes. If it does you have a leak. also check the throttle body gasket.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Just seen this… when you push the pedal, do you feel a “catch” or sticky spot ? If you do, then I suggest clean the Throttle Body. If not, then like said, check for a vac leak. A good test is spraying a TB cleaner around the intake/TB when idling, see if it is sucking it in somewhere.

craighaz
    altoona,wi

thanks for the help so far. I cleand the tb i sprayed bake clean every where and it does not change. the throttle is not sticky. one thing is if i unhook the battery for a while then hook it back up and start it it will idle like it is suppose to untill i step on the gas then it stays at a high idle.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I would go here then…

The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) can be tested with a digital voltmeter. The center terminal of the sensor is the output terminal. One of the other terminals is a 5 volt supply and the remaining terminal is ground.

Connect the DVM between the center and sensor ground terminal. Refer to Wiring Diagrams for correct pinout.

With the ignition switch in the ON position, check the output voltage at the center terminal wire of the connector. Check the output voltage at idle and at Wide-Open-Throttle (WOT). At idle, TPS output voltage should be greater than 0.35 volts (0.4 volts 2.4L). At wide open throttle, TPS output voltage should be less than 4.5 volts (3.8 volts 2.4L). The output voltage should gradually increase as the throttle plate moves slowly from idle to WOT

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR FOR SURE!!

there cheap and easy to install…do it

craighaz
    altoona,wi

if i tested that right the tps is .75 to 3.65 so the tps should b good or am i wrong?

big_g
    Isle, MN

.75 at idle might be high… I am at home for lunch right now, I will confer with a Tech when I get back to the shop

big_g
    Isle, MN

Should be about .5 @ idle, no more. Put a TPS in it

craighaz
    altoona,wi

Thanks for all the help i will be getting the part tomarrow and hopefully its the last thing to fix for a while.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.