My Cedar Strip Canoe project

• farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I posted on the hunting side, but thought there were maybe a few more guys on this side that may be interested in building their own canoe. IDO Hunting Canoe build

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Man you are braver than I thought you were.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Very nice….I’m envious.

I want to start making bent canoe paddles, but never seem to get around to it.

What’s the final weight on your canoe?

Pete

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I was hoping to find time to build paddles before I leave Monday, but don’t think it will happen with the time I have left.

I weighed it before I had all the woodwork on, and it was right at mid 40s. I anticipate to be in the high 50s to low 60s when it is all completed. I will let you know when the seats are in.

I keep wondering if I want to beat up this many hours of work, but it is not a piece of artwork. It was built to use, and I cannot think of a place I would rather have it than on a once in a lifetime hunt

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

GREAT JOB!! That is truly a work of art. I have seen many over the 30+ years I have traveled the BWCA. Even thought about the project for myself ONCE. Just wondering what type of hull design do you use? A pattern off something else. I know there are many types of hull designs and I have my favorites. Over my years I have gone from the alumn. square back “battleship” to my latest addition a MN III which can carry 3 guys and gear and still only weighs in at 36 lbs. It is a great paddle. I wish you much success on your canoe/hunting trip. If you would like a great resource to read about tripping and hunting in the BWCA, check into The Boundary Waters Journal. The editor/publisher has done many hunting trips in the area and even guides. Some of his hunting stories are great. Most are in the Winter/Spring editions. HAVE FUN.

PS – are the fires burning there now in the area you will be hunting?

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

17 footer? That’s light compared to some I’ve seen – great job.

Best of luck on your hunt.

Pete

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I have read the BW journal. Very interesting and you get all walks of life in it.

The pattern I used was a Penobscot 17 that I was able to pull out of a book. I believe the book was “The Stripper Guide”. Made my wife look twice when she saw the bill It is made to be a mid sized tripper and still carry weight.

We are far west from the fires. I hope it means all the moose are pushed to us

Thanks for the kind words guys.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Nice work!! My father in law has built a couple cedar strip canoes. Finally got a chance to go with him to the BWCA this year for my first time and had a great time. Both of these weigh in around 65 lbs.

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Very, very cool!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

awesome, very neat experience and can’t wait to see your report when you get back.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Nice work Brent, be sure to show us what it looks like when its completely done. Outside in the sun would be great, nice work!

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

My dad built one about 30 years ago and it is still a great canoe. When I turned 16 and got a drivers license, that was my first boat. I would haul that thing everywhere and caught some real nice fish out of it.

Real nice work, that is quite the project!

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

Yeah – the fire might help on your hunt. I have to admit, I have NOT seen nearly as many moose in the past 5-6 years. I know they really got hit hard by ticks etc in past years. On my first trips we would see them all the time. Enjoy the canoe.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.