Illinois launches Asian carp anti-hunger program

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Since they have white flesh like a walleye or bass, I can see this as one of the bullets.

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

“there were rave reviews after the canned carp was served on crackers at an office Christmas party.”

…wonder if it would be a good fish to have smoked..?….

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

3 to 5 pound carp are awsome smoked

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Beings thier in alot of waterways thier not going to go anyplace soon and like the common carp thier here to stay. Beings thier plankton eaters and don’t eat other fish they are low in mercury and high in nutritious fatty acids. So maybe the best way to control any damage to other fish populations is to use them as a food supply, alot of people say they taste good so why not.

I wonder if waters with low plankton like lake superior, if they would even enter that waterway. Maybe if they did the cold water wouldn’t support a large fish population because of that reason. What about the other great lakes are they also low or relatively low in plankton.

On the Mississippi they net hundreds of tons of common carp and sell that every year. Imiagine if there was no demand for the common carp, what would the population be. Asian carp taste good so there should be a greater demand for the taste and sell the rest back to the oriental contries. If they opened up the rivers and lakes that have Asian carp in them to commercial fishing for that species only it would help keep thier population as close to a check and balance as possible. If its impossible to get rid of them, then keep thier populations as low as possible so theres minimum damage to those areas. This might be the only way to go to support other fish populations.

The common carp hasen’t really done any damage other then being in that body of water, so beings thier plankton eaters they wouldn’t feed on other fish, as I understand the article. If thier only plankton eaters and don’t feed on other fish it seems thier like the carp that were placed in some of the lakes here to control the weed growth and its working with no damage to other species, by that species just being there. What is the information on them doing any damage to a waterway by eating just plankton. It seems that netting and selling them might be the way to go to atleast to keep thier populations in check. Does anyone have any information on any of these carp species eating other fish and what that carp type is. Netting seems to be one of the solutions in keeping thier populations low and if left unchecked what is that going to do. Nobody wants to see them here so make use of them, it would be a plus for our waterways and native fish, also for income and food, this might be the only realistic solution when it comes to controling thier populations and moving quickly to other waterways…

hnd

if they’ve been cleaned out well a smoked small carp isn’t terrible. but i can smoke a shoe and have it taste respectable. i have a neighbor who throws smaller asian carp in an aerated trough then cuts them up and eats them (frys them). it actually wasn’t terrible either.

gregstew
    Red Wing, MN

Do they have to be eaten with Chop Sticks??

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Quote:

Do they have to be eaten with Chop Sticks??

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

abra

There is a fertilizer product aptly called fish made out of you guessed it, fish byproducts. It sells by the barrel and is used in organic farming. For the life of me I don’t know why they don’t open plants near these infested waters. It used to sell for well over a hundred dollars a barrel. Shipping is a big factor in pricing and I believe it is mainly produced form ocean by products. Most of the use is in the midwest and we have a lot of water ways full of fish where it would not have to be a by product form sheephead to asia carp. They could even put resepticals by public launches and fisherman could keep there trash fish and slide them in the dumpster at the end of the day giving them a source they would’nt even have to pay for. Open up a huge market for commercial fishermen and provide local jobs. It is a great source of npk and if priced competivly would be used in all agriculture production.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I hate to throw cold water on a ‘good’ idea, BUT

having worked for a commercial fishing operation in the 60’s (Laska’s on Sand Prairie) I don’t think the pro’s are going to be interested until the density comes pretty high.

At that point, I expect they will be causing ‘damage’, at least by our (walleye) standards.

All of that said, i also suspect that sending in the pros is the only way we are going to get ANY relief and could end up being our god send.

BUT, don’t expect that there will be consequences. Clear water is not good for walleyes…

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Stu, I wonder if they could open up that river or lake for both species of carp netting. The asians would pay more and there would be extra money brought in for also netting the common carp. Coralville reservior down here gets netted every now and then to take carp out, the price for the asin carp would also be a plus for the commercial guys so why not open it for both in any body of water in any state.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

If we can get past the name `carp’ and the perception … we can prove this is going to be a highly nutritious, cheap meal.”

It took me a while but I got past the name “walleye” and the perception. Walleye isn’t too bad…

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

Eh, carp ain’t just for breakfast anymore, y’know.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

It took me a while but I got past the name “walleye” and the perception. Walleye isn’t too bad…

Have I mentioned I like the way you think?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.