Green Tomato Ideas??

• huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Hate to throw them out, I know I have a bunch that aren’t gonna ripen. Anybody have a good Green Tomato Salsa Receipe, or a Pickled Green Tomato Receipe??

Thanks in Advance

BBKK
    IA

fry em sunday for the game, batter and deep fry.

luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

Back when I lived in Wisconsin, Florida now. Before the “killing frost” I would pull a couple tomato plants up by the roots, leaving the green tomatoes on the vine. Hang them by the root in the basement. The green tomatoes will ripen on the vine. Place news papers under the plants as there will be a mess when the leaves dry up and fall off. It was not uncommon to have vine ripe tomatoes at Thanksgiving. They donot grow in size so the last ones were about the size of a silver dollor. Good luck, give it a try.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Friends wife makes green tomato pie. Never had it but guess it taste like apple pie???

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Friends wife makes green tomato pie. Never had it but guess it taste like apple pie???

My mom used to make that years ago. Most of the family didn’t much care for it but a few of us absolutely loved it. Including me.

hangartner
    fayette,iowa

Quote:

GOOD

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

They pickle fine. I have used same recipe I use on peppers and other veggies.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Green tomatoe pie- any recipies? Sounds interesting. I also hang tomatoe vines every year. Great way to get the most from the garden.

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

pickled green tomaters are awesome. can make them as hot as you want. a fishin buddy’s wife used to make them and they would warm you up on a cold walleye fishin day.
    and they go great with

found this easy recipe…

GREEN TOMATO PICKLES
    3 gallons green tomatoes, quartered or sliced
    1 gallon chopped onion
    1 qt. hot green peppers, or bell peppers
    1/4 crushed red peppers (opt. if you want hot pickles)
    3 pts. vinegar
    6 c. sugar
    1/2 c. salt

Combine all ingredients, cook, let come to a boil. Cook until they begin to change colors, pour into jars and seal. Do not over cook or they will not be crispy.

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

check out this link. theres dozens of green tomatoe pie recipes.
    ya, i am bored today. too wet to work in garden
    cooks.com

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

GREEN TOMATO SALSA

I just cut up the tomatoes, threw in lots of garlic, some jalapenos & onions & ran thru the food chopper. Salt & pepper to taste.

Some options:

Add: EVOO, lime juice or white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar, green onions, avocado or guac, tomatillos, cilantro, cumin, allspice, ground cloves, cinnamon, celery &/or dry mustard seed

Also you could simmer the salsa for a while if you like softer salsa.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

I pickel them to use as garnish for my martinis. I use a dill pickle recipe with the usual spices and a sprig of dill, use extra vinegar, and add onion, garlic,jalapeno peppers and a drop or two of hot sauce. I like the small whole ones best but you can slice larger ones.

We have taken larger green tomatos and put them in a brown bag in a cool dry place and they will ripen up OK without the mess of the vine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.