Towing with a Ford Ranger?

• Wadsworth

I’m in the market for a different tow vehicle, I’m looking at around a 2000 Ford Ranger, 4.0, there seems to be an abundance of them out there, and they seem pretty affordable. Just wondering if anyone tows with a Ranger, and how it does.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I USED to tow with a Ranger, 6 cyl. If you never go uphill you’d be okay.

I moved up to a F150 8 cyl. I like it but wouldn’t mind having even more power for some of the hilly areas.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I would be nervous towing anything with a Ford.

JK… You should be ok, get a V8 if you can.

Bird
    River Falls, WI

What are you towing? I used to own a Chevy S-10 with the 4.3L and it pulled my Lund just fine (OK a little sluggish going uphill and passing) but it sagged in the back and the boat was much wider than the truck mirrors…… this caused blind spots on the side and above the boat making it hard backing up at boat landings, manuvering, passing or getting passed. If it is a smaller boat with a 60″ beam plus or minus it may be OK. Since, I switched to a full size GMC. Good Luck

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I had a ford Ranger once, that was the last time I bought a mid size pickup, since then I have had two full size chevys. IMHO you do not gain very much in gas mileage with a mid size truck. I mainly use my truck to tow my boat & for hunting, I have a Geo Prizm for every day running around town and to and from work. I would highly recommend going with an 8 cyl.

Bird
    River Falls, WI

Hey Steve how do you like your prizm, my wife and I are on our 2nd one and just love’em. Our current prizm has 110K miles and still going strong, no major problems.

jonb
    Fayette, Iowa

I have a Ford Explorer with a SOHC 4.0L 6 cylinder and pull an 18′ aluminum boat. It has a trailer tow package and is satisfactory for pulling. My next tow vehicle will have an 8 cyl. however. I may be mistaken, but I think Ford put a less powerful (not a SOHC) 4.0L in Rangers as a base engine. This would seem to be an underpowered vehicle.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Hey Steve how do you like your prizm, my wife and I are on our 2nd one and just love’em. Our current prizm has 110K miles and still going strong, no major problems.

I love mine too, It’s a 1990 with 15700,the body looks like hell but it runs great. I have not had any major problems either, the prizm is the same car and engine as the Toyota Corolla, this is a great engine, I have heard of guys putting 200,000 to 300,000 on this engine. Its also a great car to leave in work & shopping center parking lots, if some one opens there car door into it or backs into it I don’t care

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

The Ranger is a capable towing vehicle provided it is equipped correctly. If your going to tow close to maximum limits I strongly recomend getting the 4.0 SOHC with the auto trans.

But, like was said above the Ranger is too small to dafely tow a larger boat as you cannot see around it. Also it is a little light for bigger boats too. Remember getting going is the easy part. Stopping and control for sudden turns is quit another.

Rangers are far from fuel misers. The SOHC might, and I repeat might, get 2mpg better than a 4.6 V8 in an F-150.

The biggest benefit the Ranger has is the compact size and ease of driving in traffic. Reliability wise they are very good as well. Good luck!

stuart
    Mn.

I tow my 1700 lund with a ranger.I cant see around it,will not stop if its wet or icy,wont pass without standing on the gas.18mpg when not towing 15.5 loaded.Had an Expidition for 5yrs nothing but trouble with it!Only reason I bought another ford was I get Xplan discount through wifes job!

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

I highly recommend getting the heaviest biggest truck that you can just barely afford, in my mind you just can’t get one that’s big enough.
    I’m one of those guys that has to be on the water all the time, and living on a budget has kept me with a four cyllindar, 5 speed stick mazda truck. By the way I’m on my third mazda truck adveraging about 130,000 miles before trading for an other one. You see I could work lot’s of over-time for that big truck or I could pay cash & be on the water. Grant ya I an’nt going to be doing a whole lot of passing while going up those dag gone Miss. R. Valley hills but an extra 10 min ride to the fishing hole is the trade off. Seriously most of you probably don’t have a budget like mine gills

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

There’s only 1 RANGER you’ll ever see me behind the wheel of…and it sure isn’t a FORD

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Seen A Ford Taurus the other day easily pulling a Ranger bass boat…

Chitwood46
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

More than likely, the Ranger was pushing the Taurus.

Jira

I’ve owned a 4.0 Ranger and towed my 17 footer with it.. horrible. I also owned an S-15 Jimmy with a 4.3. Make no mistake about it — it’s a lot bigger difference than .3

Almost seemed like a v4 versus v6. I now tow with a Dodge 360 so my only problem is mpg.

jeff6771

Now your only problem is a dodge not mpg good luck with the tranny. lol… Go with a v8 you will be happier in the long run.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Quote:

More than likely, the Ranger was pushing the Taurus.

No, it was pullin the boat. Back end was way the hell down, but got er done!!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

It won’t be so easy on the pocketbook when they’re replacing the tranny. Ouch!

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

I tow a 1750 lund tyee with a 2001 ranger I am leasing and it tows ok but if you are towing something similar you should have trailer brakes.I also towed this boat with a 96 blazer 4.3 and a 99 S-10 zr2 4.3 and they definitly had more power.The ranger also has poor mileage.The only reason I leased the ranger is because it was a cheap lease at the time but I wouldnt get another one.My lease is up in june and I will be going back to a chevrolet.Im looking at buying a 1-2 year old blazer as there price has really came down since the trailblazer came out.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Quote:

Quote:

It won’t be so easy on the pocketbook when they’re replacing the tranny. Ouch!

Me eiether. Im glad Im not them.

danwi
    westby wi

I dont know what your towing.I have a 20ft Skeeter (heavy) an i pull it with my Ford F150 it has the Triton v8.I live in Westby so i have some good size hills no matter where i go to fish.I set the cruise on 60 an it climbs any hill i need to,but Uffda the gas ouch!

Jira

Just so ya know Old Blue… I think it’s all about maintenance. I run Amzoil Synthentic in my tranny, diffs, and xfer case. I tow a lot, so I change out my drivetrain fluids and flush my tranny flushed every 40k (helps $$ to have a garage at my disposal). I’ve haven’t had a problem yet — 92k and kickin!

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Blue I am on my 3rd dodge truck with nary a problem. On the other hand a buddy went through 3 trannies on 1 truck. My current Dodge is a 360 with towing package. I pull a 17 ft explorer and have an 8 ft pickup camper on the back all summer 115,000 miles and going strong.

danwi
    westby wi

I think yellowdog just hit on it.Towing package.makes all the difference in the world

2Fishy4U

I own a 1995 Four Ranger 4.0 liter six and have towed my Crestliner FishHawk all over the place, including a thousand mile trip to Lac Suel. It is the the fastest thing in the world but runs cool and pulls the boat just fine. I am just not in to the larger pick-ups and the Ranger with 167,000 on it tows the boat just fine.

I do lose about about 4 miles per gallon, from 18 MPG to 14MPG.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

I own a 1995 Four Ranger 4.0 liter six and have towed my Crestliner FishHawk all over the place, including a thousand mile trip to Lac Suel. It is the the fastest thing in the world but runs cool and pulls the boat just fine. I am just not in to the larger pick-ups and the Ranger with 167,000 on it tows the boat just fine.

I do lose about about 4 miles per gallon, from 18 MPG to 14MPG.

Everyone has there own personal Reasons why they go with a mid size or a full size truck, I get about the same mileage with my full size chevy with a 350 as you do with your ranger, so for me I would rather have the extra room in the cab and the extra power when I need it. To each his own

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I know a fair number of people who tow with Rangers, 4Runners, Jeeps, and the like. I even towed an aluminum boat behind my 2.8L Jeep Cherokee from time to time.

For most people (including me), it’s a bigger is better situation, but on the flipside of that coin, enough is enough as well.

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

My 2.3 mazda truck has a stick in it, thus no tranny problem. Down shifting with the stick has saved me on brakes also. It’s a very sound & dependable truck which gives me peace of mind and more time on the water. I get 24mpg with out the boat and 20 with it unless I’m going into a head wind. At 65 to 70 mph I’m running 2800 rpm. I’m on my third one and usually get rid of them at 130, 000 because i’m on the road alot pulling my boat and don’t want any problems. Seriously most of the time I am running with the traffic at 60 to 68 mph, and if I’m not, then so what. At least I’m going fishing and not working overtime to pay for that big rig. By the way, I hav’ent made a payment on a vehicle for over fourteen yrs. gills

bullwhipus
    Illinois

Had a 92 ranger extra cab with 4.0. Lots of fun by itself, but seemed unstable towing anything. Have a 2002 super crew fx4 now with the 5.4 litre and tow package. Love it to death. I tow a crestliner 1700 superhawk with it, and hardly knows its back there. You really need a full size truck with a v-8

Chitwood46
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Most vehicles will be capable of towing something. Matching towing capacity with your rig is critical and can save time, trouble, and money later. I pull a 20 foot Ranger with an 8.1 Avalanche (with oil and transmission coolers) and can go at any speed I wish without issues. 10 MPG pullin the boat 75MPH. (13 without the boat!) But no worries mate.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.