Asian Carp In The Iowa Great Lakes

• grampatim
    Spirit Lake, IA

DNR reported today that they caught two Bighead Carp in their nets, while doing their young of the year survey. Bummer. The fish were caught in East Okoboji. Probably came up via Milford Creek from the Little Sioux river due to flooding. They will eventually get into Big Spirit via the spill way if they aren’t there already.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

OMG

Tell me there are no waterways connecting IA to MN..

grampatim
    Spirit Lake, IA

Big Spirit hooks up with Little Spirit and Loon Lake in Minnesota.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Better do as the Red Wing dam re-newal is doing and add fish ladders so they won’t have to fight any ugly current, eh?

joemama
    North St Paul

given big head carp in iowa will the iowa women look better ? maybe we can get bk to switch up off the cats to either iowa women or big head carp

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Oh no! This is too bad. Both Boji and Spirit and great fishing lakes. Hope they can get them under control. These Asian carp are the single most damaging invasive now out there. All money spend by the DNR’s about milfoil, zebras, etc is a waste if they can’t figure out how to get rid of thse worthless fish.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Its odd when one thinks about it. Asian carp is considered good table fare in china, in fact the fish population is in decline in china. Illinois now has an agreement to send 30 million pounds of Asian carp to China.

Big head carp in a lake is unlikely to reproduce. The bighead carp needs a big river system to reproduce so our lakes for the time being are safe. The fish most likely migrated to the lakes during the floods.

As for Minnesota is concerned we dont know if Asian carp can even survive this far nort let alone spawn and populate. Much research is needed still needed. Think about it the few fish that were discovered since 1996 has not become an infestation as of yet. We didnt hear about the infestations down south until 2007 that is eleven years the fish has had a chance to establish itself up to 2007.

Not trying to belittle the subject but we cant go off half cocked throwing money at something we no nothing about. Preventative measures must be taken that is for sure but let those decisions be made with well informed facts and not by fear alone and some bureaucrat sitting behind a desk with a bunch of donuts in front of him. .

Be interesting to see what the DNR findings are.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Its odd when one thinks about it. Asian carp is considered good table fare in china, in fact the fish population is in decline in china. Illinois now has an agreement to send 30 million pounds of Asian carp to China.

Tell Capital Hill! I think we just solved or debt and economic problems, while managing their populations. The price of Asian carp just went up!

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

Quote:

Tell Capital Hill! I think we just solved or debt and economic problems, while managing their populations. The price of Asian carp just went up!

China men will not eat them unless they are alive upon arrival,that deal fell through.

fireline
    Rochester

Make the people that brough them here from down South pay the bill .

herb
    6ft under

The carp market from here to China is doing very well Stuart. I know the market owner shipping them and they are dehydrating them for transport then rehydrating once they reach the overseas markets.
    The carp are on the decline in China simply because of their badly polluted waterways and those people refuse to eat them anyway coming from that water.
    Now here’s some food for thought; just where are most of your Talapia fillets raised?

stuart
    Mn.

Herb, I just watched a news program that said the Big head carp are top $ over in China but that they would not take ours because they will not eat them unless we can ship them live.I know I shouldn’t belive every thing I see on the news but felt this was reliable enough to say that in my post.
    Most of the Talapia is farm raised in Asia,they raise them in thier cess pools and then sale them to dumbass Americans.I also saw this on TV and belive it.I have never eaten Talapia and never plan on eating a BigHead carp.

herb
    6ft under

I’ll pm you a link to the guy’s website. I saw the same show about the Talapia that you saw I’m sure. Pretty disturbing.
    As for the Big Head carp, they actually are pretty good according to the guys snagging them below the Keokuk dam. They say to fillet them as you do a northern, chunk the meat and deep fry as you would any fish. The flesh you keep is white. If I happen into some next spring after ice out I’m going to try it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.