Good BBQ in the twin cities

• phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

where are some good BBQ places in the metro? I love John Hardy’s in rochester, but i’m not driving down there just for that…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My neighbors when the baby backs are just about done!

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

Roosters in St Paul gets my vote. Small place, but great BBQ and chicken to boot.

beave
    MPLS

Ted Cooks, Mpls. E.38th St & 27th ave S.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Dude, hit up Q Fanatic in Champlin. It’s stellar! They’ve been on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, too

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

My house….

Chicken, Baby Backs, Brisket……

Rubbed, Seared, Basted…..

I do it all slow and sweet…over the low heat…..

As it should be

Dog

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

Roosters in St Paul gets my vote. Small place, but great BBQ and chicken to boot.

X2 Go see Rich, tell ’em Bob sent ya! If you like it spicy, tell him that and order the pulled pork sandwich.

roscoe
    So St Paul

Pastor Hamiltons BBQ on east 7th in saint paul…. you wont regret it

roscoe
    So St Paul

and i am not gonna lie to you, the ribs at Drkula’s bowling alley in Inver Grove Heights are pretty damn good

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Dickeys is pretty darn good

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

Some of the places mentioned actually have a clue as to what real bbq is. Some flat out dont. Come try ours at Rack Shack BBQ in Burnsville. Ask for me, Elliott and I will take care of you and your BBQ cravings. Ribs, Brisket, pork, chicken, turkey, burnt ends…. We just got named top 5 bbq in the Twin Cities by Kare 11. I hope this plug is allowed by the ido gods.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Elliot, you need to read the 10 commandments!

From Kare 11’s FB Page:

Rack Shack BBQ, Burnsville

Up the way, on Cliff Road in East Burnsville, is a family run smokehouse called the Rack Shack BBQ. Fans love the homemade sauces, the rich rubs and the deep smoky flavor.

“Yeah, the smoky flavor is awesome! I like that a lot, it’s very good,” said Rack Shack fan Clint Perrier.

“It’s a labor of love,” explained owner Elliott Ashwell.

You can smell the hickory and fruitwood blends a block away.

“We let the smoke and spices and the meat all go together, and that’s what you’re eating,” said Ashwell.

Ribs and pulled pork are the house specialties. The meat is covered with a wonderful dark crust called the bark. Some novices may think it’s burnt, but it’s actually a desired effect of BBQ. It’s the sugars carmelizing on the meat.

You can get a full rack of ribs and two sides for $24.95, and the pork sandwich and fixings is under $10.

Link to Hours, Location and Map<<

Although I don’t get over that way, when it my Favorite Wifes turn to cook, she’s going to be stopping in!!

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Scott Ja Mamas – on Diamond Lake – just off of 35W.

Hole in the wall – great BBQ

Dog

Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

Big Daddy’s on Dale and University in St Paul is fantastic!

foxman79
    Anoka, MN

One of my favorites is Cap’s Grille. It is a small restaurant but they make up for it in taste. It is right on the light rail line on Hiawatha.

http://capsgrille.com/

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

DEM BONES BBQ at Millie’s Deli in Chanhassen on Friday nites
    http://www.milliesdeli.com/dembonesmenu/ priced right too!

Dem Bones is also available at many Community Events/Fairs, etc. throughout the Minneapolis area.

Smoked to perfection, tender with the meat falling off dem bones!

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

BK you da man. Thanks a lot!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Shh…no one will believe you anyway.

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Quote:

Dude, hit up Q Fanatic in Champlin. It’s stellar! They’ve been on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, too

X2!

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I’m surprised that no one has commented on the Market BarBQ, these are smoked ribs with a dry rub, a few types of sauces on the side. Cap’s, Ted Cooks and Rudolph’s are my other favorites

http://www.marketbbq.com/

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

Dickeys is better than pretty darn good. Their beef brisket and mac & cheese is [censored][censored][censored][censored][censored] good.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Dickeys is better than pretty darn good. Their beef brisket and mac & cheese is [censored][censored][censored][censored][censored] good.

Finally got to Dickeys (in eagan) and have to admit we were pretty disappointed.
    They were out of several items (6:30pm) like the iced tea, one of the side dishes, and the free pickles, we ordered the rib plates, ribs came done just right, unfortunately they had so much rub/seasoning that neither of us could finish them.

Beans were a disappointment, the onion tangles ? were almost good but way to much salt made them hard to eat, sauces were nothing special, we tried both the original and sweet versions and didn’t care for each, sauces like everything else are subject to each of our own tastes.

Wife did like the coldslaw and we both thought if they hadn’t over seasoned the ribs they would have been good.

She didn’t like the AC duct dripping condesation on her and the food though.

Staff there was polite and helpful though, kudo’s on that anyway.

To bad, it’s close to us and we were hoping for better.

We still have the rib shack and Qfanatsic to try, although one of them advertises they serve till they run out of meat, then close..we’ll probably skip that one.

al

hanson

Quote:

Quote:

X2!

The one in the strip mall attached to the SA Gas Station off 169?

I don’t know how many times I’ve driven by that thinking, yeah right.
    Time to park my preconceptions, eh?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

Some of the places mentioned actually have a clue as to what real bbq is. Some flat out dont. Come try ours at Rack Shack BBQ in Burnsville. Ask for me, Elliott and I will take care of you and your BBQ cravings. Ribs, Brisket, pork, chicken, turkey, burnt ends…. We just got named top 5 bbq in the Twin Cities by Kare 11. I hope this plug is allowed by the ido gods.

Elliot;
    Is this your resturant? I was there a couple of days ago. Guessing it was you cooking away.

Guys,
    This place is AWESOME!!!
    Great flavor!
    A HUGE serving!
    Great price!
    and
    great flavor!
    by the way, did I mention it was REALLY GOOD!!!
    The meat was cooked perfect!

Also,
    he’s got beer and wine there too!!!!

After living in Texas for 3 years, and truly enjoying what good “BBQ” is, I’ve been disappointed for a long time around here, accepting “Famous Dave’s” for as good as it gets for a quick, easy lunch meal. However, this place has it dialed in!

I wish you the best of luck. Hope it becomes successful for you. I’ll be back!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

alright Elliot, your got me to put you on my list of “to do’s” be up there is a few weeks.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Ok, thinking of adding to our list, I did notice on your website you shut down if you run out of meat…
    How often does this happen?

al

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Rack Shack gets my vote too!

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

If you want great take out only Greater American ribs outlet in Woodbury by the hospital is awesome. Very reasonable in prices, individual racks or 5# vacuumed sealed in sauce or just dry smoked or in a tin pan ready for the oven. You can also get BBQ meat balls, sweddish meatballs, shredded pork or chicken

assorted sausages. I get the ends and pieces with sauce and just throw it in a crock pot MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmm.

If anyone lived/lives in the lakeland area you may remember the PineGrove Inn, same family.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.