Boundary Waters Planning

• farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Well we finally pulled out our once in a lifetime Moose Hunt in zone 36 of the Boundary Waters. We are planning on using either the Little Sioux River or the Moose River Access Points. I would prefer a hard trip in and an easy out if possible hoping to be carrying a large load. We need to travel north into Hustler, Oyster, Agnes, and Horse Lakes until we find good hunting.

Any good/bad for either of these points? Anything else we should know?

We are in need of a partial outfitting for the trip because I do not have the cash to spring for all the good gear and being we are living off our backs for 2 weeks, lighter is better. Any good outfitters in the area that you could recommend?

Can a guy get permits now with the shutdown? I need to have them in ASAP.

Thanks,

Whiskerkev
    Madison

B,

Have fun that sounds like an awesome trip. I’ll expect gads of pictures as I can only take trips when trees fall down so I live vicariously through others.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Well we finally pulled out our once in a lifetime Moose Hunt in zone 36 of the Boundary Waters. We are planning on using either the Little Sioux River or the Moose River Access Points. I would prefer a hard trip in and an easy out if possible hoping to be carrying a large load. We need to travel north into Hustler, Oyster, Agnes, and Horse Lakes until we find good hunting.

Any good/bad for either of these points? Anything else we should know?

We are in need of a partial outfitting for the trip because I do not have the cash to spring for all the good gear and being we are living off our backs for 2 weeks, lighter is better. Any good outfitters in the area that you could recommend?

Can a guy get permits now with the shutdown? I need to have them in ASAP.

Thanks,

Can’t help you with any of that. Congrats though. What caliber rifle are you using?

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I will carry a 30.06.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Here is a story and some pics to get you charged up.

http://www.forum.minnesotawaterfowler.com/viewtopic.php?t=18813&highlight=

The 30-06 will do the job. My uncle has taken 3 moose with one. However it’s not my first choice. It’s amazing how tough these animals are. If you’ve never hunted Elk or Moose before, be prepared for what happens after you shoot…….Nothing. Especially with a light gun like the 30-06 make sure the first shot hits both lungs and the heart if possible.

IF they run, you’ll want to make sure the first shot was a fatal one….eventually.

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

I believe you should be able to request a permit – that is a Federal function not the state.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Feel free to put this on the hunting side – http://www.idohunting.com/ as there’s a few of us who’ve hunted moose previously. Some of the others have spent time in the Boundary Waters chasing them I know.

Joel

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Feel free to put this on the hunting side – http://www.idohunting.com/ as there’s a few of us who’ve hunted moose previously. Some of the others have spent time in the Boundary Waters chasing them I know.

Joel

Hey Joe, why ya wanna take the fun stuff away from us? Take the political threads if ya need some reading.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I just posted on the hunting side, but there were only 2 viewing at that time. I figured this time of year, most people are still hanging out here.

arklite881south

I’ve taken the route from the Moose River to Nina Moose. Nina Moose river to Agnes to Lac La Croix many many times. Of course you know the cut off into Oyster lake. We’ve seen several big bulls in that area!!

GOOD LUCK!! I’m very JEALOUS!!

Hunt of a lifetime!! I agree I would without question devote 2 weeks. There is little question if you shoot a big stomper in the Oyster/Agnes area you WILL earn it!! I would be thinking of having Anderson outfitters possibly pick you up out of Lac La Croix?? You could minimize portages with MEAT and limit most of your travel via canoe with a big animal!!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I know it is not as exciting as debating politics, but bringing this to the top anyways.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I believe, but you will want to check, that you don’t need a permit after October 1st. I have been in that area after the 1st of October several times and our group has run into moose hunters several times. Good Luck sir!

dd

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.