Tilt and Trim issue

• buckeye

About 3 years ago i had to replace the tilt and trim switch in the shifer on my 2003 Lund Mr. Pike. Since then we have burned out the down portion of the switch 6 times. We have had the switch rewired and a capacitor added to try to control voltage but the down portion of the switch went out again this weekend. The button on the motor – an 03 90HP Yamaha 4 stroke always continues to work – thankfully. We’re now looking at possibly repalcing all the electrical for the t & t. Anybody had this issue or have any ideas? This is now gone passed being a royal pain in the butt!!!! Thanks in advance. R

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Maybe take a amp reading of what the tilt motor is pulling, check electrial connections and ease of the big motor going up and down..may need greasing or binding??

Or quit spilling beer over the switch…

Al

tigermusky
    St. Louis Park

I would be curious to hear the fix. I have a very similar issue with mine 3 times the down has burned out. I have a 2003 115hp Johnson 4-stroke. Replace 3 times and appears to be going out again. The only thing in common I can think of is each time it went out I was going forward pretty fast to get ready to plane out. Maybe the wires are shorting out in the area that the wire harness runs down and threw the motor itself. That is the only area of the wire harness I have not been able to examine.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

It might be a good idea to check the tilt n trim wires from the motor to the boat. I would test them with a ohm meter and I would do a visual inspection. The only power getting to the throttle switch comes from the motor. So it is possible a wire could be shorting out or you could be getting a surge as well. I would also do as listed above and check the wire when it under a load. Yamaha did have some trouble with the actual trim switch in the motor at one time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.