Building a brick mailbox

• CornHunka

I want to surprise my wife by building her a brick mailbox over Memorial Day weekend. I’ve looked on the net for plans, but they are pretty generic. Anyone got any advice before I begin?

big_g
    Isle, MN

I would suggest using river rock or another random pattern block… brick to me is mundane… unless it matches your house or something, I would go with some thing like this…. Stone

Stan Jenson
    sw wisconsin

If you havent allready you may want to check local ordinance before installing something that may become a liability if someone hits it.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Definately check on ordinances and laws about something as solid as a brick mailbox. A guy at the intersection of a state road and the town road I live on build a beautiful brick mailbox and the state forced him to remove it. Also check with your homeowners insurance.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if you needed a building permit to build a brick mailbox in some areas.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

Definately check on ordinances and laws about something as solid as a brick mailbox. A guy at the intersection of a state road and the town road I live on build a beautiful brick mailbox and the state forced him to remove it. Also check with your homeowners insurance.

Ditto: The State D.O.T., Counties & most Cities prohibit anything solid from being built within the Right of Way &/or Clear Zone (Typically specified as 30ft from the edge of the Travelled lane), depends on many factors such as Speed Limit & Curves, etc. Your Home Owners Insurance may not cover it leaving you liable if someone hits it.

Good Luck!

CornHunka

I checked with the city, so see about regulations and such. I don’t believe will be a problem, because there are other brick mailboxes in our neighborhood.

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Good luck and have fun with your project. Over the years I have built many brick and stone mailboxes. For about the past twenty years or so I started using Chimney Block for the backing block. They are easy and fast to lay and come in a variety of sizes. I also recommend using Type N mortar. These are just a few suggestions for you. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I’m always willing to help someone out with any masonry projects.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.