Motor Oil-Same Oil, Different Label??

• huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Hey guys

New truck is due for its first oil change. What brand of oil and filters do you guys use?? What is your opinion on “Oil is Oil”? Same oil, different label? I have to believe there is a difference in filters?? I have always used FRAM filters and Valvoline oil. Can’t say that I have had any problems due to the brand of oil or filter that I have used. Don’t know if it matters, but it takes 5W-20.

Just curious what you guys are using. I know there are many people on IDO more knowledgable than myself when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks for your thoughts.

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

The real deal with oil is make sure you change it every 3000 miles, sooner if you short trip alot. Filters, IMO you get what you pay for.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Mobil One and Wix here. Fram is about the worst, from what I have heard.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I use oem filters from Wal-mart, mopar for the chrysler, AC-Delco for the Caddy, etc. and Mobil 1. I usually change around 10,000 miles, sooner if it needs it but normally it still looks new at 10K.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Well,
    I basically don’t change oil. I do, but every 10K-15K-20K miles
    I don’t use synthetic either. I’m about 20K miles since my last oil change.
    And…..my Suburban has 247,000 miles and still runs strong. I’ll keep it till it dies.
    Previous car with oil changes every 15k lasted till 244K miles. (3800 chevy)

My GM book states every 7000 miles for highway, 3000 miles for hard driving or city driving. So the 3000 mile oil change is not only not required, it is uneducated wasting.
    The Boss has a 2001 Excursion that’s a Diesel and he changes oil about every 20K. He is running about 230K miles.
    I also have a Mitsubishi Lancer with oil changes every 7K to 10K with 160K miles.

If you are running the snot out of a motor, it is a different story, because of high RPMs, hi torque, and hi HP. But everyday drivers runs just above idle at 1600 to 2000rpms at 60 mph with little torque and HP being used or applied.

Don’t be fooled by oil companies or oil changing companies “selling” you different.
    Read your owners manual too, see what it states!

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Oil is cheap compared to an engine.

I run Mobil 1 and have for years and change it every 7,500 miles. As stated above, you get what you pay for.

I would agree that the best thing one can do for your motor is to be very religious about changing your oil unless you feel lucky.

I have seen the inside of motors where the oil was let go to long.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Follow your manufacturer recommendations. Also, one thing over looked by alot of people, is the pcv valve. A $10 part can really wreck an engine…. oil rarely “breaks down” in an engine, but rather, sludge build-up (dirt,acid,metal,foreign mat’l) will accumulate and plug the oiling system and starve the engine for oil and kaboom…. IMHO, from what I see, most people who use synthetic pay too much and change too often.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

One probably does not have to change oil as much as one does or use the synthetic but how can it hurt?

One does need to change the oil as it does break down.

One can do a goggle search and find many articles about this subject.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Engine wear comes from deposit buildup, if a guy didn’t change his oil but the filter often, what would that do, any ideas?. I always went by the rule of thumb, change the oil and filter. What would happen if you put in a good filter and just replaced the amount of oil that the filter holds. At 4$ bucks a quart it might be worth it.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Quote:

I have always used FRAM filters and Valvoline oil. Can’t say that I have had any problems
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Stick with what you have been using, I use Valvoline Syn and Wix filters in my work van and at 10k the filter and oil still look new. This time around I am sending it in for analysis for $25 they tell what is in your oil and how long between oil changes you can go. Check out Bob the oil guys site way to much info.

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

I run alot of hwy miles and just spin on a new filter alone at about 3000 miles and top it off with 1/2 qt or so, Drop the oil every other filter.Neve had a problem yet and everything I own has 150,000 miles or more.

basscatgreg
    Sconnie

For sure follow the owners manual. Wix n Rotella for my duramax

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Thanks for all the input everyone!! It is all now clear as mud… LOL

Thanks for the link Tom, looks like good reading material, with a cup of coffee in the morning.

Thanks guys.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.