WI wolf population

• cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Perhaps a combo deer/wolf hunt. Shoot a deer, wait 10 mins over the fresh bait? Oh wait, that’d be over 5 gals of bait…

arklite881south

We have our share of wolves here in Northern Minnesota as well. Numbers of the Gray wolf are highly speculative in nature. What I do know is most everyone I know….Sees wolves, has them on trail cams,and has witnessed Wolf kill remains on multipe occasions every year. I’ve seen 10 times as many wolves in borderland than Moose firsthand. On the otherhand Moose sightings are very very rare. Do we still hunt Moose?? Really??

Many reasonable Minnesota sportsman hope wolves become managed as all of our big game currently is. Very politically charged debate currently………. unfortunately.

Deer herd numbers are estimated each season based on a rather gross formula by DNR’s own admissions based on Deer registered/Winter severity factor/% of Deer unrecovered from hunters. Certainly not a fool proof method of estimation by the DNR’s own admissions.

Still Wolf numbers continue to be stated darn near to the animal?? Odd?? Most realize the dense cover these animals inhabit. I’ve questioned these numbers with seemingly the right people to ask……VERY guarded responses and not very willing to talk about it to a lowly Minnesota sportsman. Seems the mere MENTION of Wolves scares the heck out of many powers to be within our DNR big game department. This shouldn’t be of any suprise since we don’t have any big cats in the state either.

I will assure you the wolf poplulation is doing well and had another banner year in Northern Minnesota with the heavy snow aiding wolf/deer kills. Many deer were forced to the ice to avoid the nearly impossible snow depths to find food and travel. Many Deer remains scatter the Northern Minnesota lakes.

The DNR will point to the “Natural Balance”, so when our deer population becomes decimated the wolves will fall back in line. Personally I believe this form of managment is very disturbing and wonder if Minnesota Deer Hunters were to ban together and sit out a season or two if they might not publicly change their opinion. Seems hitting the pocket book is the only fool proof method for gaining a needed response.

Make no mistake Managing wolves continues to be held up in the federal court system on appeals……..again. At a state level at this point this is completely out of local DNR’s Jurisdiction. Still many people happen to believe as Deer hunters we would prefer our Powers to be voice their opinions if they in deed have one. If they don’t then I believe we need a voice that can universally relay the message from the “Average Joe” buying deer tags to the disconnected folks in Washington not knowing Orr is not only a mineral, but a town in Northern Minnesota. The disconnect is very disturbing to many sportsman in the entire midwest region. Don’t get those Montana boys started!!

Seems there was little issue at a local level slaughtering close to 1000 deer in Southern Minnesota recently after 1 reported case of CWD?? 0 for roughly 1000 animals carried CWD slaughtered on that hunch. I’d like to personally know more about that 1 animal they found carrying CWD and to where it was located. I’m not goint to discuss the couple cows shot by our expert marksman who must have thought they harvested a new state record Whitetail. Seems that slaughter of deer didn’t need a second thought?? Certainly didn’t need many second opinions before the barrels got hot. One might speculate this was a form of protection from something that COULD be bad for our deer herd. I suspect this effort gained massive amounts of $$ thrown at it, but that certainly is speculation. Anyone want to guess how many deer are eaten each year by wolves?? I assure you this death toll isn’t Maybe, Possiblitity or Hunch…….It is a traceable, proven, gruesome fact. Still this rarely has the powers to be pausing from a sip of morning coffee. Out of their hands will be the common response if your bold enough to engage in that discussion (I know this firsthand). Many are disappointed as Sportsman; just the average guys/gals that like to hunt deer seem more passionate about the future well being of our deer herd than those we pay to be.

It is my guess the entire midwest wolf region may need to organize one united/organized voice to demand due respect to help overturn the irrational ban of any management means on a flourishing population of wolves decimating many big game animals. Rest assure this is not limited to deer kills alone. A simple search on Utube will find Elk, Bear, Moose and many other big game animals brutally massacred. I must warn you this isn’t for the faint of heart. Yes wolves will prey on the weak and vulnerable often times young of the year, but don’t kid yourself these animals are programmed to kill. Many big buck remains are found up here.

Until then we can cry foul, but this will continue to fall upon deaf ears shuffled into tomorrows paperwork.

For clarification I DO NOT want a wolf population decimated. I think the sight of a Gray wolf out my front making his way acros the creek is priceless. Still I believe as many others do if we choose to manage big game it is irresponsible to pick and choose what will gain managment. The #1 natural predator might need to be managed as well or does that make too much sense.

bigpike

This much I know about wolves in the greater Eau Claire county forest area. 10 years ago we were flush with deer and had no wolves. Now we are flush with wolves and have few deer. 6 bear dogs were taken down last summer during training. After that a number of wolves were taken down – atleast from what I understand. The DNR and US goverment refuse to admit or react fast enough to admit they have a problem. The same is happening out in Montana were the elk population is crashing due in most part to wolves overtaking the area, at least there the state goverment is reacting to the will of the people even if the US goverment is still getting in the way. There was a good reason wolves were wiped away 100 years ago IMHO.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Still I believe as many others do if we choose to manage big game it is irresponsible to pick and choose what will gain managment. The #1 natural predator might need to be managed as well or does that make too much sense.

Chris, well said! And, my synical response for a cheap attempt at early Monday morning humor looks silly after your well thought out reflections.

arklite881south

Quote:

Still I believe as many others do if we choose to manage big game it is irresponsible to pick and choose what will gain managment. The #1 natural predator might need to be managed as well or does that make too much sense.

Chris, well said! And, my synical response for a cheap attempt at early Monday morning humor looks silly after your well thought out reflections.

LOL!! Caught me in a bit of a “Salty” mood this morning!! I don’t know what to do with myself at times when that darn ice is in a transitional mode.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

The rules and regs trickle down from the black tie crowd in Washington. The finely appointed ladies with the gowns think the “wolves” on TV are cute and harmless when mom is wrestling with the young pups.

Disagreeing with your wife over a issue as minor as wolves might result in her demanding you spend less time with the lobbyist and mistress. Therefore agreeing with their wives is highly recommended.

Wolf control will soon be in the hands of farmers, ranchers & hunters across this country. When it comes down to decimating a deer herd or a cattle herd vs plunking a few roving wolves, we all know how that will turn out.

As long as policy is ran by people in suits vs the people on the ground, taxpayers and resources will always be the losers.

arklite881south

Aaaaah!! Reality!! Dang it Brian can’t we keep reality out of the discussion. Seems “Reality” has no place in discussions with Wolf Management.

Well said pal!! Well said!!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Yesterday James posted a solution for Grant in piercing some metal.(metal cutting post) The tools seem to come in different calibers. (I’m not a hunter) Looks to me like those same tools could be used in the wolf case.

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

just saw this while cruising another site. looks like a step in the right direction…

Feds say gray wolves recovered in western Great Lakes region
    April 16, 2011 at 09:17 PM

Associated Press

Federal officials said Friday they would try again to remove Endangered Species Act protections from gray wolves in the western Great Lakes region, where they are thriving after being threatened with extinction decades ago.

Courts have overruled several attempts by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to drop wolves from the endangered list, siding with environmentalists whose lawsuits contended the predator’s status remains shaky even though about 4,200 wander forests and fields of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.

Agency officials said their new proposal addresses concerns raised by federal judges and should survive legal challenges. They will take public comment for 60 days before making a final decision.

“Wolves in the western Great Lakes have achieved recovery,” said Rowan Gould, acting director of the Fish and Wildlife Service.

Its action came one day after Congress voted to strip wolves of federal protection in five Northern Rockies states: Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Utah — the first time lawmakers have exempted a particular species from coverage under the 1974 law. In both regions, officials report a rising tide of frustration as packs attack livestock, hunting dogs and big game while their endangered status prohibits even wildlife managers from killing them.

If removed from the federal list, wolves would be overseen by state natural resources agencies. Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin have plans meant to keep the populations at healthy levels while allowing government agents to kill animals that can’t be driven away.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

….and add another apple to the fire… the current budget issues that are in need of cuts are aimed squarely at wolf predation. States have been given federal monies to compensate farmers, hound hunters, etc. for their losses and those funds look to be completely cut this year…

The antis that have fought wolf delisting really are the biggest problem in getting the wolf to a managed situation.

Mark

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

From questions 59-62 at last Monday’s conservation congress meeting:

59) Would you support WI continuing the wolf population goal of 350 or less in the next revision of the WI wolf plan?

60) Would you support the WDNR and other partners implement meaningful population controls in the next WI Wolf Plan to bring wolf population to goal levels?

61) Would you support the US Dept. of the Interior, the US Fish and Wildlife and WDNR move ahead to delist the gray wolf in WI, as petitioned by the WDNR, transferring management of the wolf population in Wisconsin to the State of Wisconsin?

62) Would you support the the WDNR not relocate wolves that have caused problems in WI or other areas into any county in Wisconsin?

Our local wildlife biologist stated that these measures needed to be passed in order to have a hunting season in WI for wolves and the number of 350 established so they could manage so the number would not fall below that–otherwise the feds could assume control again and relist them due to falling below the 350.

At least WI has the conservation congress meetings, and according to the meeting-we are the only state in the nation that has PUBLIC input on wildlife, fish and outdoor matters. Every sportsman in the state of WI should attend these meetings, and as you can see, the WDNR does want a wolf hunting season in WI.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.