Mixed Bag

• bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

Well, I finally made it back to Clearwater today.
    I haven’t been there since December, on early ice.

I started out in front of BJ’s in 12-15′. Sat there until noon, 1 small walleye, 1 12″ crappie, 10 medium LMBass, 4 small pike,and 25 smaller bluegills. None of these were worthy of the bucket, except the nice slab crappie. I was actually targeting bluegills, but there were many other species that kept me busy.

I then headed to the “Cupies” area, I cut a dozen or so holes, caught a few more smaller gills and LMBass.
    Not what I was looking for either.

My last spot for the day, was on the way back to the landing. It was out from BJ’s to the left along the rushes on 14′ water. I again searched this area, cut lots of holes, ended up catching at least 60 bluegills. It was pretty much non stop action!
    I let go a few fish up to 9″, but most were anywhere from 5-8″. I kept a dozen for a meal.

The pike really spooked those gills very easy, so drilling and moving was key.

There was quite a bit of water on the ice by the landing, but the rest of the lake was fine for driving.

It was a great day to be on the ice!

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Nice Report! Thanks

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Wow that is a mother load of fish you caught.. What exactly were you using as bait???

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Makes a guy feel good after searching and cutting a ton of holes all day to finally get in to them,good report

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Nice report…any size to the LM bass?? Ive fished the lake off and on this year (summer and winter) for bass and never got much for size…just woundering…thanks Rat

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

Glen, I use waxies and euro-larva.
    They bit better on the smaller jigs, # 12-14-16 sizes.

The LMBass were from 10-13 inches, lost 2 bigger fish on the bottom of the ice. The bass just nailed the baits every time. They must be getting hungry after this long winter!!!

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

RVRAT~
    Get in touch with me this summer I will put you on some LM Bass this summer! Got my picture up at BJ’s with a 6 pounder from this last summer..
    I catch between 2 and 5 pound Bass in the summer on Clearwater if I fish them. The lake has some very nice ones out there…

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Im gonna take you up on that Glenn..thanks

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

It’s a fun lake to fish bass that’s for sure. You catch all kinds of species in a day, that’s why I like to use it for guiding. We need to share a day in the boat Glenn.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

I am starting a guide service on Clearwater this upcoming season. My web page will be available soon.

umop3pIsdn
    Minnesota

Well now this is nice I found my home on the site.
    Nice site you guys have here. It is easy to find my way around here.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

You are quick to surf the site I see…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.