Clearwater Slab Crappies

• craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Other than it being -8 below zero, I was able to locate some crappies on the main basin of the lake. The key to catching these fish was Glowing up your Rat Finke’s every few minutes, 2 Eurolarve and a good sonar unit, like the Vexilar FL-20. I started out in 42 fow, then finally located them in 30 fow. The fish were suspended, as soon as you glow the Rat Finke up, slowly drop it down the hole, then as soon as it reached the 12-15 foot range, a big red bar would appear racing up at it. These crappies would smack it, some taking it like a pike would. Most of the fish were in the 12-13 inch class, caught a few that were 9-10 inches, too.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Nice slab Craig!!!

Inside of the shack looks a little frosty..

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

It was cold out there -8 below zero, the New Fish Trap X didn’t let me down, it was comfortable in there. The holes never froze even with the Mr. Heater on low – just some frost on the walls.

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

Sweet, nice fish Craig.
    I don’t know why I don’t go back there. I have caught some nice fish on that lake.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Craig~
    Nice job nailing them crappies…
    Thanks for the report..

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

Nice looking slabs Craig. Thanks for the post.

John

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Thanks for the posts! I think I’ll be heading up to Milacs this weekend. Gotta do some scouting for the Perch Extrav. Contest out of Hunters Resort. Hopefully it won’t be cold.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Very nice crappies!
    Sounds like it was a fun bite to be on

centralmneyeguy
    Becker, MN

Craig,
    Nice fish! It just goes to show that moving around and staying mobile most of the time pays off!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.