01/14/2007 Report

• gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Well I was out again this morning 5 a.m. Set up in 35 F.O.W.Just off a 50 foot hole. Fish were suspended 4 feet off the bottom. Tossed down a bobber hook and crappie minnow, other hole used a jigging pole set up with a Go-Devil, caught a couple crappies,not much in size but they were there and they seem to be biting a bit more today compared to the other day. Ice is approx. 14 inches thick.
    Taffic on lake was quite at the beggining,but as time went by more and more people were up and moving around. Seems everyone is focusing on the hole in front of B.J’s..
    I am going back out this evening and seeing if there is a difference between morning bite and evening. These fish have to be biting better at some point of the day. Will update you with this evenings results tonight,hopefully I will bring something out of the hole worth snapping a shot or two again..

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Glenn,

Thanks for all the updates on Clearwater. I grew up there and fish it often open water, but not much on the ice anymore. I remember dad and I did well on the crappies and spearing back back in the day.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Mike~
    Well our paths have probably crossed many times then,I have been fishing this lake for around 30 years open water. Now last year I focused on Sylvia and not much on Clearwater but the time I spent on Clearwater I know I have a picture or two of some nice Bass sitting up at B.J’s one weighing in at just under 6 pounds. Released after the photo for it to create more great fish for our future generations..
    As for winter fishing this is my first real hardcore winter fish I have done for a couple years, last year the weather just kinda showed signs of alot of pressure changes and with that we knew it was not going to be a great year on the lake for fishing. But this year not much different alot of flex in the weather is making it challenging but if we caught fish everytime we went out our future in fishing would not look to promising.
    Well I am getting ready to head out now for my evening try at it. Will post again tonight with results,and hopefully some pics to show how it went…

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Part 2 The evening trip out..
    Got out onto the ice before sun down. Found a spot that was suitable but not exactly the spot I wanted,another house was in the area I was focusing on tapping the ice but being a good sportsman I decided to stay clear of him and go out a bit deeper then I was focusing on. Ended up in 45 F.O.W. wanted the 25 to 30 foot range. The area I was on has a nice decline from the weeds 4 F.O.W. to about 50 F.O.W. I really wanted the middle and await the walleyes to travel thru looking for dinner. I had suspended fish 5 feet under the ice according to the Vexlar. Every now and then we would get a nice thick red bleep about 5 feet under them,assuming Northern feeding off some sunfish,so after jigging a Go-Devil in front of him for a bit with no response dropped down to the bottom coaxed a couple fish off the bottom,but with no interest in my presentation. Made a quick switch to a glow hook in one hole and a red hook in the other. The red hook was the trick bobber went down and out of the hole comes the first walleye of the night a little 12 incher. So released that one reset and went back down to draw in some more,after about a half hour and our neighbor packing it up bobber down again. This time got a little excited another walleye pushing 16 inches, again released the fish reset and waited another 15 minute and ended the evening with one more walleye, but a 10 incher.. Nothing in size but now got an address of where to start to find the walleyes.
    Couple days ago the house next to us speared a 42 inch Northern and a 38 incher. The older gentleman told me he has seen a number of walleyes pass by his spear hole claiming sizes reaching 6 pounds…
    I will stay focused on this area for the next couple trips out and try and get in the 25 to 30 F.O.W. range and see if we can get something worth taking pictures of…

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Hey Glenn… Finally found the ‘eyes I see. I think I know the point of where you were taking them… Same as what we were talking about on the way out? Man… any more reports like this one… and I am going to have to take another trip out there!

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Dave~
    Yes sir found them to the right of B.J’s on the way out and now I am excited as long as this weather does not make a dramatic change on us and send me hunting all over this lake again. You are more then welcome to come join in on the fun now. All I used was the Lakemaster Map of the lake and my vexlar and there they were. But as stated above just like the day you were up I was unable to get into the depth I really wanted. To the left of B.J’s has grown ALOT since friday and our last location we were at before pulling out now looks like a small city..

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

Quote:

Couple days ago the house next to us speared a 42 inch Northern and a 38 incher.

Why would someboday spear these big pike?
    Those are TROPHY fish and deserve to live…

Just my opinion tho…

Nice report again!

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Catch and Release of those big boys… I agree.

Glenn, I will be getting out there again soon. I am going to miss the GTG this weekend as I have a prior engagement up in brainerd… hopefully with a brand new Ford F150 (ok… so who cares about the ford… I can always sell it and upgrade my chevy )

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Bob~
    I thought the same thing,why would you kill off such a trophy fish? But I guess not everyone has the same mentality as alot of us on this site. Some people are not up to date on worrying about the future of fishing.
    I am surprised Clearwater has any fish left anymore. I have seen guys go down there day after day and keep every crappie they catch, no matter what size. 4 inch bite the hook in the bucket it goes..
    I for one am the kind of guy that will release more then keep. But when I do keep some for a dinner, none are of trophy size,rather have them reproduce and hope for there young to have the chance to grow into something worth releasing as well.
    Will have another report on Clearwater tomorrow morning. I have some school activities to tend to tonight for my son.. Drawback of being a single parent all functions must be left on one persons shoulders

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

Quote:

(ok… so who cares about the ford… I can always sell it and upgrade my chevy )

Ain’t that the truth, Chevy all the way!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.