Report for 01/12/2007

• gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Ok this morning got out there early 6 a.m. started out in

50 F.O.W. nothing glowing on the Vexlar nor the Marcum… Ice was approximately 12 to 14 inches thick. Stood there for about an hour before moving on. Made a quick trip across to the northernside still on the westside of Bungalo got into the 50 foot hole there,ice thickness pretty much the same as it was on the south end of Bungalo Island (A.K.A. 1st Island), Vexlars’ and Marcum are lite up and giving us hope of maybe landing a couple fish. After an hour or so of nothing biting packed up one of the houses and made a move to about 18 F.O.W. hoping to catch some walleyes moving in to the shallows for dinner. NOTHING! Turned out after we moved our other house nailed one walleye on the small side, lost another at the hole much nicer about 2.5 to 3 pounds. and got a couple Crappies. All the mean while Dave and I are sitting there playing with Perch beating up our baits. Dave and I threw alot of baits at them, Go-Devils,Mini Merts,Pimples,Glow hooks,Red Hooks, minnows,Fatheads, and Shiners and nothing but Perch…The bite was very slow few and far between. Perch size were small. Houses started to move out of the area this evening seen three houses leave, and believe it or not Dave will vouch 2 Golf carts on the ice yes Golf carts out of Clearwater Forest. One cart pulled the ice house away..

Then before the evening ended out of the sky a plane came down flying about 10 feet above the ice…

This was a long cold day with very little progress as for fish to show for our time. Before sun up to about sundown we sat freezing at times with hope of something to be a little interested in our baits besides the perch..

Seems more houses are focused on straight out in front of BJ’s and to the right of BJ’s. Traffic was low today compared to yesterday. More and more vehicles coming out on the ice and driving to there houses.

Here ends my report for today, Dave will probably add more to this..

Again thanks Dave, for coming out and helping on throwing more different styles and baits at these stubborn fish. But for some reason they just wont bite…

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Cold didn’t describe today. I sure don’t remember this kind of wind chill when I was just knee high playing on the ice waiting for the tip ups to fly! But man… a little fishing goes a long way… even if it just warms up your heart.

Glen pretty much covered about all of today’s tactics and results. And yes, I can vouch for him. A dang golf cart was towing away an icehouse. . Too funny. The crappies seemed pretty finicky when it came to the crappie minnows and fatheads. I think if I had brought out some larvae or wax worms… might have been a different story. The schools came in at 4 to 7 feet off the bottom in 50 FOW. And I do mean from 4 all the way to 7. Lit up the marcum and vexilar like it was christmas all over again (I had the marcum on 5′ zoom and thought for a moment that it was just interference… but the vexilar was showing the same). Had a quite a few schools come in… about every 30-45 mins… would hang around for about 10-15 mins, and gone again. Kept our spirits up… that is for sure. After our move to 18 FOW, the perch just would not give up. Pulling up perch that were almost the size of our fatheads. I don’t know if this new pressure wave coming in is effecting the bite or not… but these perch were definately prime feeding grounds for walleyes. This lake has the potential to produce… just got to get out there and hammer at it. Oh, and look out for REALLY low flying planes.

Just a side note, Glen, it was fantastic to get out there and fish with you and your brother. Great meeting fellow IDA’ers and swapping stories! Hope to catch up with you again!

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Oh yeah Dave by the way I think I am going to start looking for one of those Marcum things you own.. Being an owner of a Vexlar for a long time now and after seeing these two units in action side by side I personally favor the Marcum for some of its extra features not offered on my FL-8SLT. Love that zoom option…

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Sounds good. If you are looking for new… Give Wade at JollyAnn Marine a shout. Best Price hands down. If not new, then give Scott a shout… He’s probably got one sitting around.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.