Here are some lakes to consider for the fast approaching walleye opener:

1. Big Birch near Grey Eagle.

2. Washington near Dassel.

3. Green near Spicer.

4. Clearwater near Annandale.

5. Little Rock near St. Cloud.

6. Big Chippewa near Alexandria.

7. Lac Qui Parle near Appleton.

I chose a variety of lakes from shallow to deep and large to small. All of the lakes mentioned have good year classes and have a history of above average results for the opener.

Where are you going or what are your recommendations? Let’s here it!!

Jon

Anonymous

Has anyone opened the season or had early season success on Rice Lake? My folks have a place on the lake and I’d like to give it a try with my son this year.

Anonymous

If it’s Rice lake by Paynesville, then yes. Look for an article coming soon on Koronis and Rice lakes. I would think the article will be posted by this weekend. If after you read it let me know what you think and if you have any questions. Thanks. Jon

Anonymous

I’ve fish tournaments on both Rice and Koronis, they are excellent early season lakes. Rice slows in the middle of the summer but Koronis is good all summer long. Good sized Northerns and a healthy walleye population.

Great secret smallmouth lake too. oopps

Anonymous

Thanks guys. Now that I’m asking asking for help I’ll keep going – I’d really like to get my 4 year old started going on crappies this spring. In general, is there an area on Rice that would be a good place to start this spring? I’m planning on posting reports this summer with our successes and failures so I hope to return the favor once we get the boat in the water. I have never fished Koronis but it sounds like I should make an effort to get over there. Thanks again for the help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.