Big Stone Traverse opener

• revermann
    Rice, MN

Made the drive out to Big stone/Traverse and had a pretty good weekend. In our boat we ended up with 7 walleyes with the biggest being 27 1/2 inches and the smallest being 16. We also boated 14 largemouth bass and 5 northerns. Saturday was by far the better day. Most of the fish that we caught were on the west side of Kite Island. Three of the walleyes were caught by the dam on the north part of Traverse right before dark. All in all it was a pretty good borders opener.

big-northern
    Plymouth MN

We are headed out this weekend to Big Stone. West side of Kite Island, you say? We have stayed to the east in the past–Any techniques work better for you than others? thanks in advance.

revermann
    Rice, MN

We caught our walleyes on silver rattle traps and some on gold rattle traps. The bass were caught on bronze or silver spinners. Also caught a couple of bass on a silver jointed minnow. A few other guys we know caught some bass and walleyes on the south side of kite. If you have any more questions drop me a PM and I will get back to you. Otherwise best of luck to you!!

revermann
    Rice, MN

One more thing. There is alot of green alga in the water so you need to use lures that have alot of shake or vibration otherwise you get that green slime all over them. If the wind is from the south all day I would try the north part of Traverse just before dark. I caught 3 nice walleyes up there and misses 4 or 5 other ones just casting from shore with a 5 inch chartreuse kalin tail on a 1/8th ounce jig.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Nice weekend Jamie,
    I’ll have to call and here some big fish stories. Jack.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.