Lake Nokomis or Lake Tomahawk?

• bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

Looking for a summer vaction cabin or rental house. Anybody have any information on these lakes(oneida county) or know of any good lakes near by? we dont know where to go this year, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanx

jld
    Holmen

If your are looking for lots of recreational boat traffic these are busy in the summer.

wmahnke
    Eau Claire, WI

id pick tomahawk the family has a cottage on the lake its a great chain and nice fish but we dont use it as much as we should the fishing and the hunting is so much better on the mississippi or maybe its cause i spent more time hear then their

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

both are good lakes. tomahawk is clear and can have a tough bite but usually the smallies are usually biting. nokomis would be a better choice if your looking for walleyes. lots of traffic on both of them. you cant really go wrong with either lake.

bigpike

I wouldn’t fish Nokomis over Tomahawk any day of the week. My in-laws live on that lake (Nokomis) and the state treats that lake like 2 bit – well you know the rest of the saying. You could have a full flowage or you could be 15′ down from full or anything in between. Don’t rent your cabin on Nokomis unless you like bullheads. Thats all i caught last time I fished it. That lake SUCKS- no defined weed line. Take Tomahawk- atleast you know what your getting and then fish it at low light periods and night. My advice to you is stay far away from Nokomis, you would be better off in a bath tub. Oh I almost forgot to mention all the dead bullheads all over the beach everytime I go to that cess pool.

bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

ive been doin some searchin on the web and found a couple other lakes around….you guys ever hear of Big Stone lake or Bear Lake?

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Timing is everything!!! If you’re a fisherman on a family vacation in the spring, then Nokomis might not be so bad.

If the above is true and you are looking for a summer vacation, then Tomahawk is the pick. Clear clean water and 4 other lakes to look at for boat cruises. Minocqua on one end and Lake Tomahawk on the other end of the chain. On the upper end of Tom are three resorts, Lorner’s and the Narrows are the two on the north side of Thorofare Bay and Tomah Ridge is on the south side. My first pick would be Tomah Ridge, contact Jim or Carol Correnti at 715-356-3415. They are in FL right now, but have their phone forwarded.

Jim fishes most every night and is a good resource for his guests as to what is going on the lake. Walleye fishing is difficult, but can be rewarding especially for big fish. SMB are the hottest of the species right now, Musky is tough, but again can be good. LMB are present as are panfish in certain areas of the lake.

As for the other two lakes you mentioned, you will have to let me know where they are as the lakes names are familiar, but not with resort(s) on them that I know of.

Any other questions ask away as you can tell from my avatar I am from the area…

Mark

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

if the bear lake your thinking of is off of county y i think it is? well my dad and i tried to fish it but when we finally found the landing but then when we got there there was no parking whats so ever. theres fire signs posted all over the landing saying no parking. but when i think about it again i probably would pick tomahawk. some other good lakes are katherine which should be fished on cloudy days only as its very clear good small mouth and walleye lake. you could also try bearskin which has awesome smallie fishing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.