Eau Claire area icefishing help needed

• .mnmike
    red wing, mn

My girlfriends sister from texas is visiting and somehow I got volunteered to take her out fishing tommorrow. I was just looking to see if I could get some advice on which lakes in the area are good for supplying consistant action. I dont care about the species or size of the fish, I would just like to have the rod bend alot so I dont have to listen to her talk to much. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You, Mike

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I dont have any specific info to share butI would say either altoona for perch or half moon for bluegills, would be your best bet.

For altoona, either out in front of the beach or out from the handicap dock were most of the shacks usally are.

For Half Moon, I would say butchs bay would be best but look around and see if you find a congregation of vehicles and try there also.

Hope that helps and let us know how you do if ya make it out.

.mnmike
    red wing, mn

Thanks for the help Eric. I will report back good or bad. I should be heading out on the river saturday but my weekend was previously planned for me. Oh well I still got a gallon of auger gas to burn this year.

darrin_bauer
    Inactive
    Menomonie Wi.

I would have to of course be a contrarian and disagree with your Altoona suggestion. That lake has a very finicky bite and certainly is not known for quantity. Half moon on the other hand is always loaded with dinks that bite all day long.
    Is she a looker? If so, just drive around the lake a few times, find a group of guys her age, give em a 12 pack and get her out talkin to them and soon she will forget about you and you can leave her there and go spend some quality time with her sister. Just don’t forget to pick her up later.

.mnmike
    red wing, mn

Where is half moon lake? Tried to find it on the map but couldnt locate it. Thanks

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Right near carson park. Basically down town E.C. Menomonie St and clairemont.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Here is the DNR supplied map.

darrin_bauer
    Inactive
    Menomonie Wi.

When you turn off Clairemont (hwy 12) head east 1/4 mile on menomonie street and turn left at Dairy Queen. go north strait into the park. fish on the bay to the west of the park, you will see guys out there. You will also catch some bass by mistake so don’t let her leave a jigging rod laying on the ice unattended. Lots of us use tipups for bass with shiners and usually catch a limit shortly, some over 3 pounds.

Make sure she gets a license, wardens frequent the lake for easy pickings because of the broke college students out there trying to catch dinner.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

If you were going to sneak just out of town, Marshmiller, to the north might be worth a shot or Cemetary Bay on Menomim…

Mark

bigpike

Man this is a tough call, I have been beating the north woods trying to find a bite that is worth talking about but with limited sucess I dont have anything for you. Make it a social event with catching fish a bonus, its just a tough bite out there right now mid winter. Good luck too you…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.