Western WI Panfish

• cougareye
    Hudson, WI

After school on Friday, I’m taking 3 neighbors boys, (2nd and 3rd graders) and one neighbor out for a quick fishing trip. I want to put these guys on some decent panfish without running to far.

Within 1/2 hour of Hudson, what are some ideas to get these young men some crappies or decent sized sunnies?

I have a few ideas but wondering if there are some spots I’ve forgotten to consider.

Pm me if you’re more comfortable with that! Thanks in advance!

Eric

Don Hanson

A couple of options for you would be Spring Valley or eau Galle.

krisko
    Durand, WI

BIG ROUND, up by Amery would be a good place to go…a small jig and a leech under a bobber on the reeds on the west side should give you some action. Plus you get bonus largies….I know that is about an hour away for you…Also Horseshoe Lake just NW of Turtle Lake…again a leech, small jig and bobber….Plus you can get some really big largies by accident there too…I’ll think some more and help ya out.

j_d
    Warroad, MN

Couple of areas- I was out at Willow River two weekends ago and the crappies were biting pretty well. Perch lake is always good and quiet, although it may be a little early with its extremely clear water. Pine lake in baldwin has always been good to me, lots of sunnies and crappies out there. Lots of areas to try so little time. Good luck

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for all the replies! I was looking for something close to home that I may have overlooked. When nothing that caught my eye popped up, I tried Deer. Little bit of a drive but I know some spots there. Plus that first area of the lake was pretty well protected from that awful wind we had Friday.

We didn’t kill ’em, but we managed 8-10 crappies and some accidental largies. Water temp was 61. Very few others on the lake should have told me right off it wasn’t going gangbusters.

When the breeze died down toward sunset, it got real nice out there. Kids loved it, loved watching the fishfinder, hooking up minnows, etc.

Thanks again to all for the input.

Eric

vman59
    Barron,wi

Been doing good on nice gills on Upper Turtle.Lots of action.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.