Apple River Flowage

• Anonymous

I am a muskie fisherman looking for somewhere new to try. I was looking on the WIDNR website and they talk about there being muskies in the Apple River Flowage. It does not sound like there are a lot but that is ok. I have never fished it and the DNR says it is accessed by walking in. So my questions are where is the best place to access it? Is it wadeable or can I carry my canoe back there? And lastly do I at least stand a chance of hooking or seeing fish?

Thanks a lot

Anonymous

I think the official name of what I am looking for is the Apple Falls flowage

Thanks

Anonymous

Where in the state are you looking? I only ask because I can help with some Apple River info, which does have muskies in it, but I have no idea where an Apple Falls Flowage exists……………..not saying it doesn’t, I just don’t know where that is.

Anonymous

Thanks for your response. It is the Apple River by somerset that I was looking for info on. The WIDNR breaks it down by Apple Falls Flowage and Riverdale Flowage. I think riverdale is the area up from the tubing spot where there is a boat landing. They may consider Apple Falls flowage to be the area below somerset. I have never fished it so I would appreciate any info on the area.

Thanks

Anonymous

I know the best muskie possibilities are from Somerset to where the river dumps into the Croix. Although, I’m not well versed on where you can or can’t get to in that stretch. I’ve only been working on the Apple River out of Amery and that area. There aren’t many muskies but there’s tremendous pike in there! You have to fish them pretty early too because weeds choke out the boats by the end of June. It’s a great area for the ice bite too! How much map have you got to look at? There’s really a LOT of river to cover!

Pax
    Woodville, WI

I’m almost positive you can get in there. The stretch just to the east of there has a boat landing and I can personally vouch to the fact that muskies and some decent smallies exist. I’ll check with a buddy of mine who lives in Somerset and see what he knows about a possible boat landing. Don’t know how I missed your post but at least I’m getting around to it now. —————Pax

Pax
    Woodville, WI

Stillakid — The Apple by Amery is LOADED with muskies. Yes the stretch of river running under 46 is weedy as all hell but here just throw out hog wobblers. In the summer head towards Amery a little more and it gets deeper. Had a buddy in the boat a few years back that brought in a 48″ ski in the deeper water just off a bend.

Anonymous

Shows how beneficial this board is! I’ve never met anyone who got more than the “incidental” muskie and I’ve only iced pike. I’d love to get on those ‘skis!!!! Anyone busy 1st weekend of June?!?!?!

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate all the info. Sounds like I need to do a little exploring. When I get out I will be sure to post.

thanks

Anonymous

Come into Somerset on hwy 35/64. Go through Somerset and stay with 64 to cty rd C. Left on C and follow down past River’s Edge and past the dam about a 1/2 mile I’m guessing. I saw a landing there last night with very limited parking but a landing none the less. It’s just the other end of a row of lakefront homes. It may not be THE place to go, but it’ll get you on the river at least! Good luck! I’m going to give it a try myself before the summer’s over!

David Lindstrom

If you look on WI lake finder it says there is a public Beach. But there isnt one that I could find. Excell energy owns the land where its listed and its chained off. I spent a day looking. I dont even know how the Dnr would of stocked this unless they put them in upstream by Summerset. I was actully curious about Walleye. If there was nateral reproduction this would be the eara. Lots of deeper water.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.